LIV Golf

Springveldt

Visit site
Not particularly familiar with him/his travails. But it seems like a good place for him. Golf , more particularly Tour golf to make a living, tests more than just talent! With income 'guaranteed', there's far less pressure to perform - even with loss of some sponsorship.
He's just turned 23, has $7.6M in career earnings, won on the PGA Tour at 20, has a 2nd in the US Open and a 4th in the PGA Championship. Yes he's fell down in the rankings into the 70's but he's so young he could turn that around (well not his OGWR as LIV have no points :LOL:) but he can still become a top player imho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

Liv will get OWRP if enough top 50 players move across.
How many is enough is open to debate but I think if 15- 20 moved across it would be more than enough.

The majors want the strongest fields they can get and won't want a system that prevents that from happening.

It's all driven by how many players join Liv..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know (though we did have a 7s team at uni made up of front row only). I started playing number 8, moved to second row 2 weeks later, move to front row 3 weeks after that and played there for the rest of my playing career until injury ended it.
Might have also been a reflection on your speed! :rolleyes::love: Props aren't (well, weren't) expected to do much running - except to get to scrums/mauls. Locks a bit more (I have an enduring vision memory of Sir Colin Meads surging forward in a Test against South Africa, waiting for a pass, with his broken arm simply bandaged) and Flankers and #8 definitely, especially quick off-the-mark.

Last edited:

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
How many is enough is open to debate but I think if 15- 20 moved across it would be more than enough.

The majors want the strongest fields they can get and won't want a system that prevents that from happening.

For reference heres the governance and technical committee for the OWGR.
Screenshot_20220628-202610_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220628-203236_Chrome.jpg

A few in that list may vote against LIV getting any traction at all....

evemccc

Visit site
Players don’t just go to the PGA tour for money - playing on the PGA tour gives players better chances for entry into Majors , it also gives them better chances of winning majors

Add in the ability for year round practise etc

The PGA tour wasn’t created purely to get the best players around the world and offer them all the riches on offer

It’s been around since 1929 ( broke away in 1969 )

Let’s be honest all the top Europeans over the last 3/4 decades have had playing rights on the PGA Tour and also the ET - it was prob only monty that didn’t move and that’s prob a big reason why he never got over the major line

What the ET are doing with the PGA tour is trying to get more of the co sanction events and it’s not a surprise that it’s events before the Open

But seriously, how many top PGA Tour players turned up at Wentworth last year? Horschel won it…but who else bothered to come? Not even sure the Sainted Rory was there…

If the flagship ET event is not being respected - despite the famous ‘strategic alliance’ - we can be forgiven for assuming that TPGAT is like the Bush to the ET’s Blair…

#poodle

Last edited:

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Well if there was any hope this wouldn't be a long drawn out battle, we know it will be now.
Not really surprising Pelley went for the 'devil you know' , secure some concessions for the feeder tour. So far a bit light on detail but some positive words around the feeder-feeder tours. Be interesting to see how viewed by the younger European players.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/pg...com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Still got quite a while before things really have to happen. So announcements up to 6 months to a year from now, effective a year from now, wouldn't be too much lead time imo.
Only DJ (19), BdC (30) and a couple of others are really World Class imo. Others, like Westwood and Poulter may have been once, but LIV is simply a (massive) pension top-up for them.

D

Deleted member 15344

But seriously, how many top PGA Tour players turned up at Wentworth last year? Horschel won it…but who else bothered to come? Not even sure the Sainted Rory was there…

If the flagship ET event is not being respected - despite the famous ‘strategic alliance’ - we can be forgiven for assuming that TPHAT is the Bush to the ET’s Blair…

#poodle

I’m not sure your point ?

Why would you expect PGA players to come across ? It’s normally just after the tour championship where most if they have made it to the end will be having down time

the field is full of the top Europeans - Rory has played some

it’s not a co sanction event so the PGA players would need release - but i would hope that the event would be left for all those ET players that played all through the year

I have no doubt that if Rory etc did come across then they would be accused of “cherry picking”

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

If the flagship ET event is not being respected - despite the famous ‘strategic alliance’ - we can be forgiven for assuming that TPHAT is the Bush to the ET’s Blair…

#poodle
To play the Wentworth event, a player has to be a member of The DP World Tour. Only a few Americans are. Equivalent applies to PGA Tour events, generally. 'Jointly Sanctioned' events, like the Scottish Open mean members of either tour can enter.

D

Deleted member 15344

RIP European Tour, hello PGA Tour Europe.

Full on feeder tour now. Might actually get Korn Ferry guys and the like trying to join the PGA Tour Europe since top 10 get a card.

So is the PGA Tour increasing to 135 or are the Korn Ferry guys getting shafted?

Extra spots being opened up for Korn Ferry as well plus better pathways for the Sunshine and Australian Tours

It’s got a good chance of making events on the ET stronger with events having the top players from a number of tours in them

The European tour as most know it disappeared decades ago when it branched out to SA , Middle East , Far East etc but guess that was ok for the ET to do that

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
RIP European Tour, hello PGA Tour Europe.

Full on feeder tour now. Might actually get Korn Ferry guys and the like trying to join the PGA Tour Europe since top 10 get a card.

So is the PGA Tour increasing to 135 or are the Korn Ferry guys getting shafted?

The European Tour died a long time ago. It was well on the decline before Tiger turned up and became the PGA Tour cash machine which cemented the PGA Tour as the preeminent tour.

Anoetic

Visit site
If legacy in golf is only measured by major wins then 99% of players don’t leave a legacy as they aren’t good enough to win one,and have a job that involves weeks of travelling away from their families. Better players will of course be paid more money But that’s life… If people on this forum were offered a job where you only needed to work 10 weeks a year, 3 days a week, on double your current salary, and given a joining fee of triple what you’d earn‘t previously in the whole of your working life, the decision to say no wouldn’t be easy…..golf for us is a hobby, but for a lot of those guys it’s an incredibly stressful job, and they continue with it as it’s what they are good at…Hats of to the people that turned down the money

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Well, that rules out Westwood and Poulter currently 87th and 89th resp.
Of the top 4 at Centurion, Schwartzel is 125, Du Plesis is 467, Grace is 128 and Uhlien 334. So none of them would would qualify!
There are only 7 LIV players in the OWGR top 50, so hardly 'top flight'!

AussieKB

Visit site
Those majors

4 won by Koepka
2 won by DJ
1 each for Phil Mickleson, Patrick Reed and BDC

The golf tours evolved when the the Telly money came into it and unfortunately events in Australia etc are not on during prime time for either Europe or the US
Golf from Europe is a good time for me, I live on the West Coast, plus most Aussies do not have a problem watching Wimbledon Cricket etc from England, on the East Coast the Golf from US is on in the morning depending which part of the US, not a problem.

Visit site
I personally think Pelley’s missed a great opportunity to align with LIV and do what they say, ‘grow the game’. It would have been messy, but it was a chance take away golf being ‘America-centric’ and make it a Truely Global tour aka F1. A chance to see the best players play in Asia, Europe, South Africa, Australia and still have events in America, North and South, a truely ‘Global game’ as PeterDawson used to ‘bang on about’, but actually did nothing about.
Pelley should have had the balls to go through the short term pain for the longer term good of the game on a global scale. A chance to rewrite the rule book for the future. History is exactly that, history, it is done, these so called leading CEO’s need to look to the future.
The European tour has been dying a ‘slow death’ as just the European version of the Korn ferry feeder tour. This is going to accelerate the belief that DP Tour is losing its value and even less inviting to sponsors than it is now. Just my two pennies worth anyway.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Allowing Saudi tour players into the DP would be the end of the PGA Tour as we know it. Convincing DP to ban them is the real existential point for the PGAT. If they are let play, then the flood gates will open, and the PGAT will be left with only Tiger. Even Rory would be forgiven for turning 180 at that stage. A united, revamped PGAT+WPWT must be what both are working on behind the scenes. Not banning Saudis is also the DPs trump card, so they will not come out on that until they have a deal with the PGAT done, as it is their leverage.

The big loser remains the DP World Tour.

I dont think so. Far from it now. What I was guessing has come to pass. DP was able to exploit the situation. It wasnt really threatened itself. Saudi tour was always going to out of DPs league anyway, so no real impact. But extracted a deal for themselves from the PGAT that enhances their position. And the PGAT had to give them something to ensure they held the line against Saudi players access to other tournaments.
Euro tour is now in a better position than before the war.