LIV Golf

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Monahan is on about 7 million a year now.

The PGA Tour operates as a not for profit organisation - based on it's claims of it's charity work, and gets many tax breaks from the IRS because of this.

3% of the PGA Tours money goes to charities, around double of what the commisoner takes for himself.

Corrupt.

I'm not here to defend him, but youre just making stuff up. Last published wage for him was $3.9m including incentives and bonuses. Covid saw him forgoe his salary completely.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Everyone is in it for the money, that is why they are Professional, so neither side should be saying anything
It would be a pretty poor form if we didn’t discuss our opinions wouldn’t it ??‍♂️

The problems, as always arise when people on either side aren’t able to engage in debate as sensible adults l.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It’s good to see a different format. It didn’t harm cricket with the 20/20 format and there was a lot of scepticism when that started.
A bit of strange comparison, but also fundamentally not true. Test Matches are slowly dying, with young cricketers now seeing the IPL as the pinnacle instead of 5 day internationals. Sad, but also understandable as the money is crazy.

I like T20 (or whatever it is called) but it is harming test cricket.

PS The 100 is arguably worse than LIV's preposterous teams thing. Except of course it isn't, because LIV's team thing is truly the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in professional sports.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not here to defend him, but youre just making stuff up. Last published wage for him was $3.9m including incentives and bonuses. Covid saw him forgoe his salary completely.

Indeed, and when was that last set of accounts dated?

Even then, the tax avoidance status, the charity donations, and the salary of the commisioner should all be questioned, shouldn't they?

How many events were played in the year he waived some of his salary?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Indeed, and when was that last set of accounts dated?

2017 is the last official statement of earnings for him. I'm not arguing it's not more now, I'm saying your quote is unfounded.

Even then, the tax avoidance status, the charity donations, and the salary of the commisioner should all be questioned, shouldn't they?

Sure. I'm not here to defend the PGA Tour, but you're on shaky ground trying to take the moral high ground here.

How many events were played in the year he waived some of his salary?

No idea.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
A bit of strange comparison, but also fundamentally not true. Test Matches are slowly dying, with young cricketers now seeing the IPL as the pinnacle instead of 5 day internationals. Sad, but also understandable as the money is crazy.

I like T20 (or whatever it is called) but it is harming test cricket.

PS The 100 is arguably worse than LIV's preposterous teams thing. Except of course it isn't, because LIV's team thing is truly the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen in professional sports.

It's sadly indicative of the times. Everything supposedly needs to happen quickly because more and more people don't have the time or concentration to watch longer events.

People will remember great test matches but nobody really remembers 20/20 cricket. It's bubblegum sport. Chew it, lose the flavour, spit it out and repeat. LIV golf has elements of that too.

Swango1980

Visit site
Monahan is on about 7 million a year now.

The PGA Tour operates as a not for profit organisation - based on it's claims of it's charity work, and gets many tax breaks from the IRS because of this.

3% of the PGA Tours money goes to charities, around double of what the commisoner takes for himself.

Corrupt.
To be honest, the PGA Tour has made the players very wealthy. But, it is not just about them. Clearly they are the key component. But take away everyone that runs the game, the admin, the legals, the sponsorship, the broadcasting, the venues, etc. the players would be nowhere near as rich as they are. They need the "boring" non golfers on the PGA to deal with all that rubbish. The golfers can then focus on playing golf and getting from A to B.

So, I have no problems with the top guys running the tour to make a lot of money. They probably work a lot harder than the players, we just don't see it. I have no idea what a reasonable salary would be, but if the top players are making millions and millions, then no issue with the very top people on PGA doing the same.

Not corrupt though. Unless he is claiming one salary, and then hiding a whole load extra under his bed?

D

Deleted member 21445

The only way the PGA Tour can keep these top players is to ban them from the majors.
It's the only deterrent and I'm not sure legally whether they can do it.

If you can play the Liv Tour and compete in the 4 majors then the floodgates will open with top players moving to Liv.

The issue then is how do you qualify for the majors if Liv Tour events don't gain you World ranking points.
If that conundrum gets sorted out the PGA Tour is on very shaky ground.

I mean why wouldn't you play less events for SUBSTANTIALLY more money and still go chasing the majors ?????

Dismiss the Liv Tour at your peril..

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The only way the PGA Tour can keep these top players is to ban them from the majors.
It's the only deterrent and I'm not sure legally whether they can do it.

How can they do that ? The PGA Tour has no jurisdiction over the majors. They are run by four different and independent bodies.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
with a bit of tweaking I think the teams idea could work well too.

How, and why ? Is it not just a random pick of four golfers and calling them this weeks team winners ? Its not a team game.
The teams element is the crowning of the nonsense, and shows how out of touch with golf as a sport the organisers are. I could imagine advertising or media types that come up with reality TV shows and the like thinking it was a good idea though.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How, and why ? Is it not just a random pick of four golfers and calling them this weeks team winners ? Its not a team game.
The teams element is the crowning of the nonsense, and shows how out of touch with golf as a sport the organisers are. I could imagine advertising or media types that come up with reality TV shows and the like thinking it was a good idea though.

Im not so sure.. Drafts work well

so say your "team" is the aces.. this week you got DJ.. next week you could have bryson

it keeps it interesting rather than having DJ always for the aces

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im not so sure.. Drafts work well

so say your "team" is the aces.. this week you got DJ.. next week you could have bryson

it keeps it interesting rather than having DJ always for the aces
Is it still not just four random players being declared the team winners though ? So there is no team really. Just the illusion of one. They are doing literally nothing as a team. Other than a made up name, no one will have any allegiance to a team or players. Its very poor. But does indicate how badly thought out this "innovation" is. Maybe there is a team concept for pro golf somwhere. But if this is the best they could come up with, they shouldnt have gone with it. It just makes them look stupid.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sam Horsfield currently in a position where he will win over double the amount today, than his total career earnings. Go on my son.

Its just money, and sports fans dont care about the money. Following golf for years, and I honestly dont know what the prize money is for the winner, down the field, or total fund is. Nor what their annual money list total is. All that matters there is the ranking. Fans are interested in winners, and this weekend's LIV will not count as a sporting win in any serious way, even if Horsfield were winning 100M£. Money does not a win make.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Its just money, and sports fans dont care about the money. Following golf for years, and I honestly dont know what the prize money is for the winner, down the field, or total fund is. Nor what their annual money list total is. All that matters there is the ranking. Fans are interested in winners, and this weekend's LIV will not count as a sporting win in any serious way, even if Horsfield were winning 100M£. Money does not a win make.

Ok Backsticks, are you going to pull apart everything I see with you're PGA Rosette emblazoned across your chest?

The winner today is the winner.