LIV Golf

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Think theres a nuance to this theory imo. They go to the US tour also for the higher ranking points available which bolsters their world ranking and gets them entry to the biggest tournaments (Majors and WGCs), which in turn makes it even easier to earn ranking points and thus more money :) . Much harder to get higher up the rankings without playing a lot on the US tour (currently 34th ranked Pieters the highest I think without PGA tour rights?)

I'd posted previously that the owgr may hold an important key in recognising anything new.

The rankings points for a tournament are based on the field strength. So if higher ranking players did play on LIV that would earn a field strength, and potentially some PGA Tour events would reduce - hence this high stakes stand off

‐‐-----------------
Strength of Field

The Strength of Field for each tours event is determined by using the World Rating and Home Tour Rating.

The World Rating is based on the number of Top-200 World Ranked players competing in the event and a value is allocated to the position within the Top 200.

The Home Tour Rating is based on the number of Top-30 Ranked players using each tours end of year final ranking with a value allocated to the position within the Top 30 Ranked players. Exception - Web.com Tour Home Tour Rating is based on the number of Top-30 Ranked players prior to the Hybrid Events.

The World and Home Rating* using the values in the charts below are added together to produce the Strength of Field rating. The number of points** allocated to an event is then determined by the "Points Breakdown" and which band the total Strength of Field rating falls into.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is my point. As others pointed out, it is why most, if not all, of the best players in the world play on the PGA Tour. However, they won't immediately move across the the Saudi run events simply because of the money, because they risk out on their long term financial security (the PGA is already very lucrative, especially to the best and most consistent players), missing out on the prestigious events and, importantly for them, world ranking points.

However, if some of the lower ranked golfers start to trickle across, because it really does make financial sense for them, it would probably create some momentum in dragging more and more top golfers across. So, money will be the only real factor in attracting players to it. As more and more do, the PGA events will seem less and less prestigious due to weakened fields, whilst LIV becomes more and more prestigious due to stronger fields. This could be the excuse the best players make if they finally hop across, although ultimately the money is the driving force. And, it usually is in all walks of life.

Imagine the top 10 left for this tour .. I'm sure the PGA would then change its tune

As it stands they could play 3/4 majors if they left

This is only what the PGA did to the European tour years ago with money only thing is the "dirty" money side .. which I'm sure the pgas is whiter than white...

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Imagine the top 10 left for this tour .. I'm sure the PGA would then change its tune

This is only what the PGA did to the European tour years ago with money only thing is the "dirty" money side .. which I'm sure the pgas is whiter than white...
Why only 3?

My understanding is the PGA Tour came about as a breakaway from the PGA of America.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Presumably they want people to watch it though, and that requires some sporting credibility. Prize money in itself, no matter how big, doesnt bring that.
Take Matt Fitzpatrick for example. Doing well, but hasnt really hit the big time. If he moved, and won a handful of tournaments beating Phil, Garrigus, Bland and the likes, he would be richer, but it would have no credibility. No one would care to watch him do it, and it would be in the same class as wins in 'sports' such as red bull gimmick sports or wrestling.
Golf already has an established second division in the DP tour. There is no opening in the market.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And, I would have thought the ladies game would have been a much easier in to crack in golf. It has scope for more tournaments, money, and taking it beyond the USA more. But women wearing short skirts may not go down well with those behind the venture.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had an email from our club today, passing on an email from the Centurion asking if anyone wants to volunteer to help out at the LIV Golf event, and/or the ARAMCO TEAM Series the week after.

I’d rather volunteer at the aramco.

I was actually thinking of popping over to watch it as the tickets are pretty cheap

Swango1980

Visit site
Presumably they want people to watch it though, and that requires some sporting credibility. Prize money in itself, no matter how big, doesnt bring that.
Take Matt Fitzpatrick for example. Doing well, but hasnt really hit the big time. If he moved, and won a handful of tournaments beating Phil, Garrigus, Bland and the likes, he would be richer, but it would have no credibility. No one would care to watch him do it, and it would be in the same class as wins in 'sports' such as red bull gimmick sports or wrestling.
Golf already has an established second division in the DP tour. There is no opening in the market.
They want people to watch it. However, if they are money rich, then having people watch it initially probably is not a major concern. They just need to get the ball rolling, and throw money at participants, even if no one watched it at all. Their big goal would be to slowly (well, the quicker the better) encourage better and better players to participate. They'll not necessarily participate because it is what all the fans are watching, rather they'll join to try and earn millions, and the fact that more and more of their peers are playing in it. If that happens, sooner or later more and more fans will watch it instead of the PGA. I rarely ever watch European Tour events anymore. However, if they ever get a big name like McIlroy, Bryson, Tiger, etc then I am much more likely to watch some of it. So, LIV will ultimately want at least 2 or 3 big time players to play in their events, and it will probably get fans watching.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

If the top players leave, there's no way on earth the PGA would shut them out - they can't afford to.

And how is the winner at the Canadian Open ($85 a ticket btw), going to feel when they look at their cheque for 1.4 mill, and then see somebody who may be well below them in the WGR walking away with 3 times that amount from Centurion.

There's been a bit of a smear campaign going on as far as Norman and the LIV is concerned, but from what I can see, a lot of people are taking a realistic view to the source of the funding, and are looking forward to the 1st LIV event.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Brad Faxon going in two footed on Phil

You wouldn't expect anything less - he's a mediocre golfer that has strung a good career out of golf, and part of that is commentating on the PGA Tour. He's now working for Sky, who appear to be nowhere near the LIV tour when it comes to broadcasting the action.

It was never going to be an impartial view.

Let's remember, none of us really know Phil Mickelson, but if he has lost 40 million to a gambling habit (addiction), shoud people rally be sticking the boot into him?

This from Faxon just follows on from a lot of the other sensationalised opinion that we've geen hearing from the PGA Tour guys.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Mel Smooth : You wouldn't expect anything less - he's a mediocre golfer that has strung a good career out of golf, and part of that is commentating on the PGA Tour. He's now working for Sky, who appear to be nowhere near the LIV tour when it comes to broadcasting the action.
As are the majority of the golfers on any tour, and most likely those who will play in the LIV events.
Well, generally speaking when someone gives an opinion on something, it’s going to be their opinion and therefore unlikely to be impartial - otherwise it’s going to be a bland non statement. We can infer that your constant defensive of the LIV events isn’t impartial.
Let's remember, none of us really know Phil Mickelson, but if he has lost 40 million to a gambling habit (addiction), shoud people rally be sticking the boot into him?
Really, seriously ? Should we be feeling sorry for him then ? His choice to piss away 40 million. Addictions can be treated but may be he chose not to ?
This from Faxon just follows on from a lot of the other sensationalised opinion that we've geen hearing from the PGA Tour guys.PGA tour guys can have their opinions, just like the LIV guys can, if and when we know who they are and aren’t clamped by NDA’s.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Mel Smooth : You wouldn't expect anything less - he's a mediocre golfer that has strung a good career out of golf, and part of that is commentating on the PGA Tour. He's now working for Sky, who appear to be nowhere near the LIV tour when it comes to broadcasting the action.
As are the majority of the golfers on any tour, and most likely those who will play in the LIV events.
Well, generally speaking when someone gives an opinion on something, it’s going to be their opinion and therefore unlikely to be impartial - otherwise it’s going to be a bland non statement. We can infer that your constant defensive of the LIV events isn’t impartial.
Really, seriously ? Should we be feeling sorry for him then ? His choice to piss away 40 million. Addictions can be treated but may be he chose not to ?
This from Faxon just follows on from a lot of the other sensationalised opinion that we've geen hearing from the PGA Tour guys.PGA tour guys can have their opinions, just like the LIV guys can, if and when we know who they are and aren’t clamped by NDA’s.

It's a forum mate. It's all about opinions - I was just pointing out why he was sticking the boot in. Compare that to some of the players, who have been much more balanced and respectful towards Phil with their comments - they know their paths will cross again somewhere in the future, maybe on the PGA Tour, maybe elsewhere - we will see.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well....less than 2 weeks and it'll be all over at Centurion.....
Any idea who's playing yet?
It all seems to have gone a bit quiet:unsure: