LIV Golf

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The Americans executed a 66 year old blind fella yesterday. Now as a UK citizen, I think that is barbaric, just keep the fella locked up for the rest of his life.

Funnily enough, you won't see much in the media about the human rights of american prisoners on death row.

There's plenty on a semi regular basis. It's grotesque, but a major difference is the US Government isn't funding the PGA Tour. The Saudi government is funding LIV.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It will be funky, faster, music playing, more banter with the players, more jeapordy (money if you like), and if it's going to be streamed to the world for free, millions are going to sit down and watch it that wouldn't normally.

You have to stop looking at it in from a traditional golfers point of view, and look at it with an open mind - and how the exisiting game can be amended to make it more interesting to a wider audience.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah...Riiight!

Barking_Mad

Visit site
According to Lord Tyron, it's on You Tube - which I'd imagine could be correct as that seems to be the way broadcasting is going - certainly a lot of the womens events are broadcast this way

Now if it is on You Tube, you will be able to watch it literally anywhere you want - for free. It's no wonder the PGA are throwing as much dirt as they possibly can.

But why would 12 year old Tina from Leeds watch it over Minecraft videos or Fortnite? 'Growing the game' is just empty rhetoric.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There's plenty on a semi regular basis. It's grotesque, but a major difference is the US Government isn't funding the PGA Tour. The Saudi government is funding LIV.

True, the Saudis do fund the US Government though, and a lot of US based businesses - some of which will be connected back to the PGA tour in one way or another.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
But why would 12 year old Tina from Leeds watch it over Minecraft videos or Fortnite? 'Growing the game' is just empty rhetoric.

Well I've just explained it to 12 year old Jamie from near Leeds who said he'd watch it. He also said conventional tournament golf was boring - which I tend to agree with.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well I've just explained it to 12 year old Jamie from near Leeds who said he'd watch it. He also said conventional tournament golf was boring - which I tend to agree with.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Are you being compensated for such promotion?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You have to stop looking at it in from a traditional golfers point of view, and look at it with an open mind - and how the exisiting game can be amended to make it more interesting to a wider audience.
Why? As a 'traditional golfer', though still with an open mind, I'm happy enough for here to be competition for existing tours primarily simply on the existing basis. The proposed new style simply seem to be unnecessary 'product differentiation' that could even turn it into a bit of a circus.
If it's not aimed to encompass, at least initially, traditional golfers, then it's starting with an initial audience of zero!

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Faldo has been hooking up with Shiels, as has Sophie Walker. 2 potential candidates there.
I can't believe Faldo would jeopardise his US gig by jumping ship. He has created a very nice role for himself in America, why risk it for something that may not work long term. The others.......Worth a punt

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I can't believe Faldo would jeopardise his US gig by jumping ship. He has created a very nice role for himself in America, why risk it for something that may not work long term. The others.......Worth a punt
Yeah I agree, although he has links to performance 54 with his Faldo series.
He has spoken out against the LIV before though.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'd like to know the basis for that statement.....can't see that its going to be as big as you think (or want it to be based on your avid defence of LIV).

Well it might not, we don't know the full details of who is playing, maybe Phil Mickelson announcing he is not defending his PGA title has some relevance - but honestly, I have no idea.

But, there is now a huge interest in the series - generated ironically by the PGA and the people that support it. Coupled with the indication that it's going to be available on You Tube - it opens it up to millions of people across the world who wouldn't normaly watch a televised golf comp - which are all, in the main, on subscription TV.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Where do you get that millions are going to tune in to watch it from.?
Available to millions -yes....but why is Golf suddenly going to prise people away from their TV or their other YouTube subscriptions to watch 40/50 year old men take 5 hours to hit a ball around a field?
The RC and the Masters only got 120k views each day.
Admittedly they were available on TV but if 2 of the biggest events in golf can barely muster half a million views each over 3 or 4 days then what chance has a new venture got of pulling in significant numbers?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Available to millions -yes....but why is Golf suddenly going to prise people away from their TV or their other YouTube subscriptions to watch 40/50 year old men take 5 hours to hit a ball around a field?
Admittedly they were available on TV but if 2 of the biggest events in golf can barely muster half a million views each over 3 or 4 days then what chance has a new venture got of pulling in significant numbers?

CBS reported that 10 million people watched The Masters - it peaked at nearly 13 million.

Rick Shiels video with Lee Westwood has already had almost a million views in just 4 days.

So I can easlily see there being an interest in the LIV, by millions of viewers.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Mickelson is gone isn't he. There's a very good podcast with Shipnuck with No Laying Up which paints a pretty balanced picture of Mickelson

D

Deleted member 15344

CBS reported that 10 million people watched The Masters - it peaked at nearly 13 million.

Rick Shiels video with Lee Westwood has already had almost a million views in just 4 days.

So I can easlily see there being an interest in the LIV, by millions of viewers.

I very much doubt there will be millions of people tuning in to watch the event at centurion- there are no big name golfers that bring the viewers in playing ,

you don’t get millions watching the main tour events apart from the Majors so why would millions watch the LIV event ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
H'mm...A bit more than that!...https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/04/12/masters-tv-ratings-surge-sunday-augusta-national/#:~:text=According to CBS, the final,percent increase over last year.

Last edited: