LIV Golf

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
From the LIV Golf website:

The team event is where the scoring gets even more exciting. Over the first two rounds, the best two stroke play scores will count for each team. For the third and final round, the best three scores will count, with the lowest overall team score after 54 holes being named the team winner.

LIV Golf Invitational Series will feature 12 teams of four players each. Since each event will be made up of a different field, teams will be decided via a draft the week of each event. Each team will have a LIV appointed team captain who will select their 3 open team positions via a snake draft format. The captain will be one of the four starting players but will also have the responsibility to set the lineup each week, choose the scores that will count and act as an on- and off-course captain for the team.

Well that’s cleared that up then !
Who’s providing the coverage for people watching via television, etc ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My point was that the issues people have with The Saudis are also present in UAE but no one seems to care about their poor record of human rights etc?
I don't disagree with that. The difference, in that area is that there's progress being made in UAE. Saudi hasn't even signed up to any HR protocols. I'm not stating they are good btw, just 'not as bad' and improving (unlike, seemingly, Saudi) - exactly what I infered in the OP and refered back to, so nothing more to add.

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I don't disagree with that. The difference, in that area is that there's progress being made in UAE. Saudi hasn't even signed up to any HR protocols. I'm not stating they are good btw, just 'not as bad' and improving (unlike, seemingly, Saudi) - exactly what I infered in the OP and refered back to, so nothing more to add.

The Americans executed a 66 year old blind fella yesterday. Now as a UK citizen, I think that is barbaric, just keep the fella locked up for the rest of his life.

Funnily enough, you won't see much in the media about the human rights of american prisoners on death row.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still can't see this working. Shotgun, team format or whatever it is still a sub-standard product in comparison to the PGA and I'd argue the DP as at least they have players working hard to improve and look for their opportunity on the PGA, in majors and WGC events

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Nothing naive about it.

Can you explain to me how a new format of golf that will appeal to more people doesn’t potentially grow the game?

Well, it's not on TV for start, so how would someone not knowing about golf choose to pay over the odds to attend a golf event they'd not usually give a second thought to?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Well, it's not on TV for start, so how would someone not knowing about golf choose to pay over the odds to attend a golf event they'd not usually give a second thought to?

According to Lord Tyron, it's on You Tube - which I'd imagine could be correct as that seems to be the way broadcasting is going - certainly a lot of the womens events are broadcast this way

Now if it is on You Tube, you will be able to watch it literally anywhere you want - for free. It's no wonder the PGA are throwing as much dirt as they possibly can.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who’s feeding it to YouTube?
No idea. They just announced where it could be seen. Who does the feed is a level of detail that Joe Public doesn't usually ask about and isn't mentioned.

I guess the really interesting bit, unless you are in the broadcasting trade in which case your question is, is who will be doing commentary, co commentary etc. Could be some new voices, chance to make a career leap.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
No idea. They just announced where it could be seen. Who does the feed is a level of detail that Joe Public doesn't usually ask about and isn't mentioned.

I guess the really interesting bit, unless you are in the broadcasting trade in which case your question is, is who will be doing commentary, co commentary etc. Could be some new voices, chance to make a career leap.

Faldo has been hooking up with Shiels, as has Sophie Walker. 2 potential candidates there.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can you explain to me how a new format of golf that will appeal to more people doesn’t potentially grow the game?
How do you know that it will appeal to more people. Agreed, it might, but at the prices of tickets, seriously doubt the 'will appeal to more people' statement. The basic product hasn't changed.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
How do you know that it will appeal to more people. Agreed, it might, but at the prices of tickets, seriously doubt the 'will appeal to more people' statement. The basic product hasn't changed.

It will be funky, faster, music playing, more banter with the players, more jeapordy (money if you like), and if it's going to be streamed to the world for free, millions are going to sit down and watch it that wouldn't normally.

You have to stop looking at it in from a traditional golfers point of view, and look at it with an open mind - and how the exisiting game can be amended to make it more interesting to a wider audience.

D

Deleted member 25172

It will be funky, faster, music playing, more banter with the players, more jeapordy (money if you like), and if it's going to be streamed to the world for free, millions are going to sit down and watch it that wouldn't normally.

You have to stop looking at it in from a traditional golfers point of view, and look at it with an open mind - and how the exisiting game can be amended to make it more interesting to a wider audience.

Lol. This is escalating in such way that I’m almost starting to suspect that LIV have hired regular golf peasants to sing their gospel. ??