LIV Golf

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you are not interested in it, simply don't visit the thread!

I want to know what's happening with the LIV experiment, not read the same half a dozen people clogging the thread by going round in circles talking the same old :poop: while trying to prove that they're the best/saintliest/wittiest/cleverest/most ironic/snide/sarcastic/etc/etc.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Casey the snake gone, no big deal. Not exactly a player who makes you switch on to watch golf is he.

Interesting that I have absolutely no idea who won this week’s LIV exhibition, or how anyone got on. The Irish Open, on the other hand, very enjoyable.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I want to know what's happening with the LIV experiment, not read the same half a dozen people clogging the thread by going round in circles talking the same old :poop: while trying to prove that they're the best/saintliest/wittiest/cleverest/most ironic/snide/sarcastic/etc/etc.
Here's not the best place to look for that then!

AussieKB

Visit site
Casey the snake gone, no big deal. Not exactly a player who makes you switch on to watch golf is he.

Interesting that I have absolutely no idea who won this week’s LIV exhibition, or how anyone got on. The Irish Open, on the other hand, very enjoyable.
Who won the Irish ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are not interested in it, simply don't visit the thread!
Spot on
You’ve got to be pretty dumb to go on a thread you know already has descended into a farce looking for sensible information or an adult debate.
Try google it’s got everything you need to know.

Really enjoyed the Golf last night
Certainly was nowhere near an exhibition tournament,the only exhibition was the quality golf.
Felt like a good tour event going down the stretch.
Good crowds with a great atmosphere.

D

Deleted member 3432

Spot on
You’ve got to be pretty dumb to go on a thread you know already has descended into a farce looking for sensible information or an adult debate.

Certainly was nowhere near an exhibition tournament,the only exhibition was the quality golf.

Sums up what this forum has become when you can't discuss golf.....

D

Deleted member 15344

Who won the Irish ?

?‍♂️ It’s not finished yet

And people posting just to complain about the thread ?‍♂️ And what does that add

In fairness the posts haven’t turned to insults and people have been respectful apart from the obvious

Last edited by a moderator:

Springveldt

Visit site
I don’t get the “it’s an exhibition, they’ve already been paid” thinking. The most popular sport in the world has players who have already been paid yet it’s definitely not an exhibition.

Liverpool have just given Salah what amounts to a $65M, 3 year deal. Are we expecting him to not care if they win or lose now? What about the NBA player that just signed a $193M 4 year deal? Does he no longer care if he wins or loses?

Why do we think golfers would be any different? These guys have been hyper competitive since they were early teenagers.

The team aspect may actually work with the players since they are guaranteed money and don’t have to look at every player as someone who is trying to steal their money.

Also, looked like a big, lively crowd yesterday and Grace’s final round was worthy of winning any tournament.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Spot on

Still too much emphasis on the 'team' element by commentators imo.
And still a bit much flicking from one hole to another for me. Fine if they are great shots, but too many weren't - even if described as such by commentators, who need to/hopefully will improve, or at least wait until the ball finishes before declaring the shot 'great'!. Too many such shots ended up in v tricky positions, so weren't as great as they looked. 'Great looking' works without endangering 'foot in mouth' syndrome!

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t get the “it’s an exhibition, they’ve already been paid” thinking. The most popular sport in the world has players who have already been paid yet it’s definitely not an exhibition.

Liverpool have just given Salah what amounts to a $65M, 3 year deal. Are we expecting him to not care if they win or lose now? What about the NBA player that just signed a $193M 4 year deal? Does he no longer care if he wins or loses?

Why do we think golfers would be any different? These guys have been hyper competitive since they were early teenagers.

The team aspect may actually work with the players since they are guaranteed money and don’t have to look at every player as someone who is trying to steal their money.

Also, looked like a big, lively crowd last yesterday and Grace’s final round was worthy of winning any tournament.

You can’t compare to team sport - players get sponsorship etc before they play as well

If Salah or indeed any other don’t perform to any sort of level they don’t get a contract

Golf you get paid if you play well

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

His trick at the WGC Matchplay was a greedy move if I’ve ever seen one

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Also, looked like a big, lively crowd last yesterday and Grace’s final round was worthy of winning any tournament.
You can’t compare to team sport - players get sponsorship etc before they play as well

If Salah or indeed any other don’t perform to any sort of level they don’t get a contract

Plus, premier league footballers and nba basketball players are trying to win a competition that means something, that everyone wants to win. If you’d said the nations league (or whatever it’s called) or footballers on their last legs playing in the Chinese league, it would’ve been a relevant comparison.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

But that’s what will happen with LIV. Team franchises, team sponsorships, player sponsorships… The teams will want the best players available, the better teams will win more money, and in turn, generate more money.
There will be huge similarities between how football teams operate, and how LIV teams operate - although I guess LIV will be nearer to the US based sports than those in the UK.

Springveldt

Visit site
Plus, premier league footballers and nba basketball players are trying to win a competition that means something, that everyone wants to win. If you’d said the nations league (or whatever it’s called) or footballers on their last legs playing in the Chinese league, it would’ve been a relevant comparison.
I’ve seen my mates in their Sunday league on their last legs still desperate to win.

You just can’t turn off a switch when you have been competitive your whole life.

Suddenly you want me to believe guys that have been competitive their whole life, got to the top of their sport, played in Ryder Cups etc just don’t care about winning anymore because they are guaranteed money? So, where they only playing for money all along?

D

Deleted member 15344

But that’s what will happen with LIV. Team franchises, team sponsorships, player sponsorships… The teams will want the best players available, the better teams will win more money, and in turn, generate more money.
There will be huge similarities between how football teams operate, and how LIV teams operate - although I guess LIV will be nearer to the US based sports than those in the UK.

I asked yesterday but I don’t think you answered but who is it you think will be buying these teams and then be happy to run a huge losses each year ?
it’s a huge leap for a sport that’s primarily all about the individual to having a set up of professional teams

I’ve seen my mates in their Sunday league on their last legs still desperate to win.

You just can’t turn off a switch when you have been competitive your whole life.

Suddenly you want me to believe guys that have been competitive their whole life, got to the top of their sport, played in Ryder Cups etc just don’t care about winning anymore because they are guaranteed money? So, where they only playing for money all along?
If it’s not just about the money why have they gone to the Liv tour then ?

Look at the likes of McDowell and Mickleson and their performances so far

D

Deleted member 21445

Going off on a slight tangent.

I bet Netflix can't believe their luck that all this kicked off during their 1st season of their PGA Tour doc series like the F1 Drive To Survive..

Going to be great viewing for that and all other behind the scenes viewing..

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I asked yesterday but I don’t think you answered but who is it you think will be buying these teams and then be happy to run a huge losses each year ?
it’s a huge leap for a sport that’s primarily all about the individual to having a set up of professional teams

The same sort of people that buy football clubs, or fund NBA teams, or buy racehorses, or finance F1 teams……
Let’s not forget, the Saudis are very well connected to a huge network of businesses across the globe through the PIF.