LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that Greg’s official line?
Because it’s a load of ?
Well, it might explain if it truly is coming from the man who led all 4 majors in 1986(?) after, what, aaahm, oh yeh...54 holes.
I think we need some Freudian analysis on Greg and LIV. Sometimes a cigar is just 54 holes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Things need to change in the majors - they have to be refreshed at this stage. 54 holes would be just part of an evolution to teams as part of a longer term plan. Teams chosen for each major by the respective organisation running it. Then a league table according to the performance of each of those teams in the 4 majors each year. A shotgun start on the 3rd day would widen the appeal beyond todays older profile of golf fan, and bring in the youth that are essential to growing the game. The winning team would become the real focus of the majors rather than the individuals lifting dusty silverware that has been going since men won then using hickory shafts.
What a load of drivel! You have to be taking the 'p' surely!

D

Deleted member 25172

Will his back allow him to do all 3 rounds?

As it’s an exhibition with guaranteed money it doesn’t really matter what the score is anyway. Money already in the bank, so a nice three day walk. If the back holds up and he can get a score going, even better for the account.

D

Deleted member 21445

Decided to commit to watching the whole Liv Event so I could try and work out what I thought of it purely as a golf event.

I Like
That they are trying something different to engage a younger audience to the game.
That they have some top Golfers in the field now.
The TV coverage, tons of cameras and no adverts (that may change with the TV deal that is going to come at some point)
The shotgun start and having all the players on the course at the same time, no lulls in the action
The standard of golf on a tough golf course, with marquee names at the 1st page of the leaderboard.
I like the colour coded hole diagrams at the bottom of the screen showing green for birdie holes through yellow to red for the hardest holes
I like the fan experience with lots to do and music concerts in the evening which I think helps attract a younger audience, they have a big crowd for the final day..
That they really look after the caddies with logistics and pay.

II don't like
The team element, I do think there is an embryo of something there but it needs tweaking, the players seem to like it more with going out for meals together etc than the TV audience
The on course commentators, need to improve or be replaced.
The field overall is still weak for recognisable names but I can only see that improving in the coming events.

II want to be clear I love watching the big PGA Tour events and can't wait to watch The Open.

The biggest thing I don't like is how fractured the game of golf is right now and just hope a resolution can be found between the tours but that looks impossible right now.

I think we could end up with 2 separate tours with the best of the best only playing each other 4 times a year because the majors will want the best at their events.

I am actually not a big fan of Greg Norman but I have to say I agree with him when he says Golfers are independent contractors and should be able to play where they want.

AussieKB

Visit site
Can see if Tigger signed then the comments would be "oh he's past it"
about time to change your tune guys, why be negative all the time, if nobody tried something new in this world where would be ?
still in a cave rubbing sticks together.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can see if Tigger signed then the comments would be "oh he's past it"
about time to change your tune guys, why be negative all the time, if nobody tried something new in this world where would be ?
still in a cave rubbing sticks together.
That's because he IS!
Well, not so much 'past it' so much as 'incapable of competing', even in a 3 round comp'!
I'm sure the proposal has actually been quietly made - as he would be a massive draw. But lack of response means it was rebuffed, at least for now.

The reason folk are negative is that they think it's a bad thing. Until that view changes, why would/should they change their mind? The 2 comps so far haven't done anything to make me change mine!

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
As it’s an exhibition with guaranteed money it doesn’t really matter what the score is anyway. Money already in the bank, so a nice three day walk. If the back holds up and he can get a score going, even better for the account.

For Casey, yes. For the product, a super league according to the name, not so good.

Given Casey's nickname, I'm sure he'll fit in well with FIGJAM and the others.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Does anyone know of any predominantly South African based forums? Would be interesting reading how things are viewed there given the success of their players

Anoetic

Visit site
For everyone not liking the team aspect it was interesting to hear brandon and Dustin talking about it walking down 18, and the reaction of the players on the 18th green. I can only see it getting bigger especially moving toward the end of season competition. And the final round of Brandon’s would deserve to win any competition…..