LIV Golf

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As long as they dont change the team thing. It is just such garbage its funny, and it would be a pity to discard it or modify it away from the paragon of sporting nonsense that it is. If it went, it might look like LIV was getting its *** together

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that the other tours might start to get a bit worried.

The way they are showing it may work better with younger watchers especially.

It might not work as well when they have to get adverts to make it cost-effective though.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm beginning to think that the other tours might start to get a bit worried.

The way they are showing it may work better with younger watchers especially.

It might not work as well when they have to get adverts to make it cost-effective though.
The return on investment will come through franchising the teams, that’s why I guess we’re seeing teams developing around countries - so the plan will be for these teams to be ‘bought’ and used to promote further sponsorships and revenues around those teams. Of course we could well see the series go down a conventional tv deal route, with the adverts etc.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The return on investment will come through franchising the teams, that’s why I guess we’re seeing teams developing around countries - so the plan will be for these teams to be ‘bought’ and used to promote further sponsorships and revenues around those teams. Of course we could well see the series go down a conventional tv deal route, with the adverts etc.
The flaw in that thinking, indicating the detachment from reality of those behind the idea, is that nobody supports golf teams. Golf is an individual game.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The flaw in that thinking, indicating the detachment from reality of those behind the idea, is that nobody supports golf teams. Golf is an individual game.
Except it’s not is it.
Every golf club has scratch teams, Tigers, rabbits, seniors, juniors, ladies - the local unions then play as teams against other unions. Then they do that at county level etc, so basically, golf is very much a team game, except when people want to argue that the LIV team format is crap.
That seems to be the argument?

D

Deleted member 15344

Except it’s not is it.
Every golf club has scratch teams, Tigers, rabbits, seniors, juniors, ladies - the local unions then play as teams against other unions. Then they do that at county level etc, so basically, golf is very much a team game, except when people want to argue that the LIV team format is crap.

Golf is not a team game at true professional level , Pro Golfers are standalone professionals and don’t represent “teams”

There is no relevance with an Amatuer who is a member of a club who will have teams in friendlies or scratch leagues

Professional golf is very much an individual sport - and multiple times people have tried to create some team comps and beyond the Ryder cup it’s not worked

Saudi can try and create franchise teams but who the heck is going to buy a team when it’s such a money loss

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Except it’s not is it.

Yeah but its not something that garners any real level of dedicated fanbase. When was the last time you went to watch a handicap team play? Or even county teams at a higher level? Just because there are teams doesnt automatically mean that people will start following them. There's no history there or anything to give fans an attachment to them, and if players chop and change teams every event that's not likely to improve.

I quite like many aspects of LIV Golf but the teams element feels so forced and cringeworthy.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Except it’s not is it.

Your citing the playing of amateur club teams is a non sequitur. My statement that nobody supports golf teams is still valid.

Apart from the curio of the Ryder or Walker Cups for a once in two years intercontinental bonus for the real elite. Golf isnt like like the innately team sports which become identified and supported by their locality or country. Even the Davis Cup in tennis, with an integral national basis, is a dot compared to the overall following and playing of pro tennis. Magicing teams out of thin air for a sport that is not a team sport, indicates thinking coming from people who dont understand golf, or who are just pitching halfbaked brainstorm ideas that should never have got further than the white board. The weekly evolving, nothing linking the players, make up of the teams further confirms the lack of any coherent idea.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Can you not even see how crass that all is - it’s as embarrassing as Perez’s dollar shirt
. At least DJ is too stupid to understand
No Phil, I watch it, think of all the salty folk on here and elsewhere who want to see the early demise of the LIV series - who only want ‘conventional golf’ and I laugh at the DGAF attitude that these guys are showing. ?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Your citing the playing of amateur club teams is a non sequitur. My statement that nobody supports golf teams is still valid.

Apart from the curio of the Ryder or Walker Cups for a once in two years intercontinental bonus for the real elite. Golf isnt like like the innately team sports which become identified and supported by their locality or country. Even the Davis Cup in tennis, with an integral national basis, is a dot compared to the overall following and playing of pro tennis. Magicing teams out of thin air for a sport that is not a team sport, indicates thinking coming from people who dont understand golf, or who are just pitching halfbaked brainstorm ideas that should never have got further than the white board. The weekly evolving, nothing linking the players, make up of the teams further confirms the lack of any coherent idea.
Change is bad eh?
They’ve filled a gap then haven’t they, golfers play golf as teams at amateur level, and it’s usually a great way to participate in the sport. The Ryder Cup, Walker Cup, Solheim cup etc all generate considerable interest.
You’d think that somebody would have spotted the opportunity earlier tbh.

D

Deleted member 15344

No Phil, I watch it, think of all the salty folk on here and elsewhere who want to see the early demise of the LIV series - who only want ‘conventional golf’ and I laugh at the DGAF attitude that these guys are showing. ?

And why is it you think that they don’t care ?

Maybe it’s all the blood money they are getting - but then a number of players have clearly shown they don’t care where it’s from as long as they get rich .
Change is bad eh?
They’ve filled a gap then haven’t they, golfers play golf as teams at amateur level, and it’s usually a great way to participate in the sport. The Ryder Cup, Walker Cup, Solheim cup etc all generate considerable interest.
You’d think that somebody would have spotted the opportunity earlier tbh.

You do know that other team events have been tried ?

6’s
Vivendi
Seve Trophy
World Cup

guess how many are still going ?

The likes of the Ryder Cup and Solhiem generate interest because of the history and the two teams involved - The Walker Cup is a pinnacle of Am golf