SAND WEDGES

RICHARD3879

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can someone confirm the loft deg on a standard s/w,i think its 52 but not sure..my new set has not got one and i have an awkward gap distance now between my p/w and 56 deg wedge and need something to fill the void,cheers.

RICHARD3879

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Hapless,
i have a set of tour edge exotics (xcg's),i won them in at a golf day last year and so far im well impressed,they look alot like a mizuno and i believe they are a fairly big make in the states,with a few pro's having them on tour now!! they have a really thin top line which i like but are also quite forgiving..

RICHARD3879

Medal Winner
Visit site
no sorry i meant the set came with a P/W,56&60 deg wedges,which leaves me an awkward shot from about 120 yds as my p/wedge is about 130-140 and my 56 deg about 100 yds full swing so just want a gap filler so maybe a 52 it is...

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PW lofts from one manufacture to another vary greatly. Meaning there can be a heafty gap in a lot of modern sets.

Traditionally a Sand wedge used to be 54 degree. However these days Sand Wedges are considered to be 56 degree, though 55 degree is common.

The problem is when a PW is more like an old 9 Iron & is 45 degree instead of say 48 degree. This means there can be anything up to a 10 degree gap in a set.

Like Hapless says, if you can, get onto the manufacturers website & find the technical spec for your clubs so youwill know what Gap wedge to fit in there.

You could of course choose to put the 56 degree you have away & get a 54 degree instead to narrow the gap.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
no sorry i meant the set came with a P/W,56&60 deg wedges,which leaves me an awkward shot from about 120 yds as my p/wedge is about 130-140 and my 56 deg about 100 yds full swing so just want a gap filler so maybe a 52 it is...

PW 130 140...56 about 100? is that carry in calm conditions. If it is thats big hitting.

RICHARD3879

Medal Winner
Visit site
hi tommo,yes thats distances in perfect conditions,nice calm day etc,played the other day and was quite windy so was hitting my 8 iron 140-150 and my p/w just over 100 so it varies...

fastmover2

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with a 54* "sand" and 60* "lob" and 48* PW. The trend seems to be more to the 56* as a standard SW now which is a litle weird as nearly all irons have less loft than their counterparts of only a few years ago and this leaves a big gap PW to SW. Of course this gives a sales opp. For Gap/A wedges

I would not get hung up on names of clubs though as I play nearly all sand shots with the 60.

What I would recommend is getting a grind put on your wedges so that they suit your style of play, I have found that this has made a great difference. Info on this at Pingwrx.com and scratchgolf.com