Sand Wedge

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello peeps.

I currently dont have what i would call a proper sand wedge in my bag. Using Mizuno JPX 52' & 58' wedges as fitted/bought through my local pro. He advised the 58' would be my sand wedge, although i do use the 52' sometimes too.

Since i bought the above I have really struggled to get our of bunkers, particulary greenside and i tend to leave the ball in the bunker generally because of fat shots.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to bounce on clubs, do you think a lack of bounce could be affecting how my club impacts into/through the sand ?

Help pls !!!!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose it only matters if you think of a traditional SW being 56* but I don't think that's the case any more. The 58* should be more than suitable for playing out of the sand, as you say you use the 52* as well.
Do you know what bounce your JPX wedges have at the minute so to determine if it's too much or not enough bounce?

Personally I use a 10* bounce 56* and don't have any issues in getting out. Is it maybe how you play the shots rather than the club itself?

DCB

Visit site
Your 58° has 10° of bounce so it should be capable of getting you out of most bunkers. Why not take a lesson on bunker play from the pro ? that could make all the difference.

If you still struggle, then maybe you do need to look at a higher bounce model like the 56° which has 12° of bounce.

My own preference would be for a 56° to use as my sand wedge.

Stick in , you'll get there.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use a Mizuno 58*/10* out of bunkers and have no issues. If I need a little more run I'll use my 52* and open the face a little if needed.

Are you slowing down into impact?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
surprised no one has mentioned the sand....

personally I currently find very few courses with the sort of soft fluffy (dry!!!!) sand that get's me reaching for the wedge with loads of bounce on the sole - but it does happen occasionally in the UK!

it''s also easy to suggest that it's technique rather than club - but the two are of course related a bit.

I do currently see a lot of players getting frustrated when they don't get out of heavy compacted sand by banging their club down 4 inches behind the ball - because that's how they have always done it from those bunkers (which were dry and fluffy most of the time......)

Lollfred

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to admit that generally the sand is rather compacted and 'solid' feeling, so deffo would have a bearing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
But surely how you play the shot is determined by that sand. I use the same 56/10 wedge regardless of the sand, I just play it differently for the conditions, same as you would any other place.

so yes it was easy to question technique as it's the most common error I personally see when people struggle to get out of bunkers.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
But surely how you play the shot is determined by that sand. I use the same 56/10 wedge regardless of the sand, I just play it differently for the conditions, same as you would any other place.

you might, but many wouldn't

I can't see any benefit in using a standard 10/12 bounce sole designed for nice light soft sand when playing from bare, compacted heavy sand - and I can see some risk.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
you might, but many wouldn't

I can't see any benefit in using a standard 10/12 bounce sole designed for nice light soft sand when playing from bare, compacted heavy sand - and I can see some risk.

I'm no great shakes at this game Duncan, but I learned to play shots using the kit I had when I was young.
Part of that was getting out of some of the worst bunkers you can imagine.
Surely learning to play the shot rather than buying another club is a better answer?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no great shakes at this game Duncan, but I learned to play shots using the kit I had when I was young.
Part of that was getting out of some of the worst bunkers you can imagine.
Surely learning to play the shot rather than buying another club is a better answer?

I think we are in danger of violent agreement!

Firstly the OP hasn't got a 56/10 - and I don't think I suggested he would benefit from getting one?

Second, I was taught to use a PW, or even a 9 iron, from compacted wet sand rather than my SW - and of course they were the only choices :)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think we are in danger of violent agreement!

Firstly the OP hasn't got a 56/10 - and I don't think I suggested he would benefit from getting one?

Second, I was taught to use a PW, or even a 9 iron, from compacted wet sand rather than my SW - and of course they were the only choices :)

Violent agreement it is :ears:.
I just reckoned that with the options the OP has in the bag already that altering it or adding to it wouldn't necessarily help but learning different methods using what he has to get out would maybe be a better route. Coming full circle to both our points about learning to use what you have (either by it being all that we had/was available or just by forcing the issue).