Sand Wedge ?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for some advice on best club for Sand Shots pls .......

I carry 2 extra Wedges, both Vokey Spin milled, a 54/8* & a 60/4*.
Although i've been predominantly using the 60* out of Sand, my Bunker play is completely erratic tbh, and I'm wondering if the low Bounce of 4* is perhaps partially to blame - is it to little ?

Our Bunkers arent brilliant, a lot of them dont have a lot of sand in, (something the club are trying to tackle), so when trying to nip the ball out, the club is perhaps sliding straight under the ball and not getting enough of an 'explosion' out of the Bunker ?

What does everyone generally use, or is it purely down to personal preference ?

Thx

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use a 56 deg with 10 deg of bounce. get me out of deep pot bunkers in a links no problem.

The softer the sand the more boubce you need, so if there not much then either would do with the 60 working better on no sand.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I use a 56/10 for both soft and bare-lie bunkers.

I find bare-lie shots from sand with a (low bounce)60 almost as difficult as bare-lies with it from elsewhere. Having so much practice :angry: from bare-lie bunkers at my club, I'm 'happy' to thump the sand slightly further behind the ball, watch it pop out and roll, rather than bite, and hope to make the putt. Being cute doesn't work for me.

Tournment pros, who don't have the problem of variable sand anywhere as much as us, often use their 60 for almost all bunker shots.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
"when trying to nip the ball out, the club is perhaps sliding straight under the ball and not getting enough of an 'explosion' out of the Bunker ?"

this suggests a little confusion about the objectives you have

regardless of the surface and sand you should be aiming to hit sand, and as suggested the softer/finer/dryer/deeper the sand the greater the appropriate bounce on the sole.

loft is another matter entirely

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I get the best results with a 60 deg with 9 deg of bounce. I play straight at the pin with weight forward and hands shallow. Works very well.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds like you need lower bounce if there is a lack of sand in your bunkers.

I have identicle Ping wedges with 12 bounce but 52 & 56 degrees. This works well as if I want to get at a pin more than around 20 yards away I swing the same as I would for half the distance but use the lower loft.

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
Try the Vokey 58 - 04. Due to the sole width of this model, its effective bounce for bunker shots is greatly increased. If a bit more bounce in needed for soft sand, open it up a fraction. Alternatively, close it a fraction for hard pan. No better one-wedge-fits-all imo.