Same old me but surely getting better! (Batchworth Park reviews anyone?)

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played a local course for the first time today... Played most courses in the Birmingham area but for some reason its taken 3 years to get round to playing Pype Hayes.

Anyway thinking of Justones 2nd shot on a Par 5 thread and my response of 7iron everytime was true to the word but it really doesn't matter if you can roll in your 30 yard chip for an eagle :-D as much as I couldn't believe it rolled in I have to say I walked up to the green... Checked the breaks... Found a landing spot and then took a good few practise swings so why was I so shocked. Its what I wanted to do.
So... Standing on the 2nd tee is a great feeling -2 put in true style I had 2 shots 120 yards into the next hole from a topped tee shor and topped fairway shot... I quickly put myself back on track and struck the ball well for the rest of the front 9 ending with a birdie on the closing hole. After a quick count I was +6 scratch and although I was -3 on 3 holes the other 6 I dropped atleast one shot too many. I either left the put two inches off line or I had a duffed chip I honestly think I should have been scratch even on the basis I had a birdie and eagle... In typical Dave fashion though on the back I can in +15 with two 8's both on par 5's combination again of missed putts by a short distance but it was something mental knowing I was in such a good position I think. I kept making silly decisions... Because I was hitting the ball so well I almost expected to par each hole and maybe got greedy any shots where I had to chip out i went more maximum distance overshot the fairway and ended on the othersides rough... On both par 5's on the back i did this after long drives so was hitting my 4th from a bad lie missing the green slightly by bunker or bad bounce and then struggling to keep the score low.

Anyway in summary I loved it out there and finished with 38pts 92 -1 off my Handicap of 22.

I really feel like this time round playing I am going to improve and become a much better golfer... Time to book my next lesson I think.

Off to London for the weekend as I am away on Business so will be enjoying a couple of rounds at Batchworth Park with my wifes cousin... Hope I can replicate the ball striking and enjoy it like I did yesterday. Anyone played there and can give me any info...

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Batchworth - like most courses- can be slow at weekends, but if you play after noon it's much better.
Greens hollow tined last month but now running well.
Hilly so a lot of members use leccy trolleys.

Looks lovely and open but still plenty of places to lose a ball!
No sneaky hidden dangers, bunkers are disguised by landscaping but you can see iwhere they are.
Don't slice... Most trouble lies on right.

Lovely patio to enjoy post game drink overlooking course.

Delightful members!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Batchworth - like most courses- can be slow at weekends, but if you play after noon it's much better.
Greens hollow tined last month but now running well.
Hilly so a lot of members use leccy trolleys.

Looks lovely and open but still plenty of places to lose a ball!
No sneaky hidden dangers, bunkers are disguised by landscaping but you can see iwhere they are.
Don't slice... Most trouble lies on right.

Lovely patio to enjoy post game drink overlooking course.

Delightful members!

Thanks for the info... Just decided to carry aswell because I could take my pencil bag to my hotel tomorrow night... Don't want to end up back in Birmingham without my clubs and trolley :-s

Yeah playing after 1pm both days.

Thanks again!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Off to London for the weekend as I am away on Business so will be enjoying a couple of rounds at Batchworth Park with my wifes cousin... Hope I can replicate the ball striking and enjoy it like I did yesterday. Anyone played there and can give me any info...
Best to use an old ball for the 1st hole, as there is a lake on the right and gorse bushes all down the left! :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Best to use an old ball for the 1st hole, as there is a lake on the right and gorse bushes all down the left! :)

Wimp!

Couple of nice simple warm up holes - then some toughies!

Easy enough walking, but there are certainly some hills. Nice mix of holes, though a couple that you will probable play better second time round. One of the best places to watch the sun go down after the round too!

DoG takes up a large amount of space - especially in his rather small car! Hits a mean ball as well!

DaveyG

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Be brave. New ball and split the middle with it!

You probably wont believe me but this is exactly what I did... The water was in play if I went with an iron and didn't catch it well.

Great course, I really enjoyed! Heading back there this afternoon to try and beat my score... Its clear what I need to work on now aswell as my short game just isn't good enough... Could have been another great score today

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
You probably wont believe me but this is exactly what I did... The water was in play if I went with an iron and didn't catch it well.

Great course, I really enjoyed! Heading back there this afternoon to try and beat my score... Its clear what I need to work on now aswell as my short game just isn't good enough... Could have been another great score today

Might see you there!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

this may be a function of the course rather than your game; I'm sure I read somewhere that their holes aren't cut large enough?