S Boston hand warmer - early report

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bought myself one of these:-

http://www.supergoose.co.uk/index.php/s-boston

Instructions are a bit hit and miss as it seems to have been translated and therefore a bit patchy. There's not much to it though so not really a problem.

There is a discrepancy between the instruction supplied and the website about how long to hold in ignition button with the website being correct (20 seconds rather than 3 as suggested in the supplied handbook)

Comes with a filler cone so you don't overfill it.

Gadget itself well made. Has an aluminium case and provided with a carry case/hand protector as it gets quite hot after about 20 mins.

Tribal design on upper part presumably to vent spent waste fumes (which I can't smell).

Overall design not to my taste but it's a functional bit of kit that will live in it's protective bag for most of it's life so not much odds to me.

Not much danger of accidental lighting as all you have to do is take the bottom bit/fuel reservoir off, turn it around and re-insert it. On the top bit one side feeds the catalizer and the other is a rubber blank.

Cut the fuel off- no heat- simple.

The catalyser hold no fuel on its own so simply separating the two halves and remove the batteries will do the trick if your worried.

Works standing up or on it's side and claims to go for 30 hours on one fill -up(which is about a fifth of a standard bottle of lighter fluid).

Can't testify to that but after 4 hours it's still going strong which is enough for me and enough for the only reason I would be out in the cold for that long - golf.

Price - about £30 plus delivery

Bill

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can honestly say that I dont suffer with cold hands really, this to me would be a waste of money, but I do like outdoor gadgets. I love the out doors so things like this normally get my attention.

Pair of gloves would do the trick but I dont even wear them, if my hands get cold, i'll stick in in my pocket till the next shot but don't normally need too.

Interested to know how you get on withg it whilst playing, might make a good present for someone.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not really suffered with cold hands as my callaway mitts normally do the trick. The father in law has circulation issues and he has a number of diferent brands he uses. He works as a driving instructor and it can get a bit cold so he always has a couple on the go

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bought myself one of these:-

http://www.supergoose.co.uk/index.php/s-boston

Instructions are a bit hit and miss as it seems to have been translated and therefore a bit patchy. There's not much to it though so not really a problem.

There is a discrepancy between the instruction supplied and the website about how long to hold in ignition button with the website being correct (20 seconds rather than 3 as suggested in the supplied handbook)

Comes with a filler cone so you don't overfill it.

Gadget itself well made. Has an aluminium case and provided with a carry case/hand protector as it gets quite hot after about 20 mins.

Tribal design on upper part presumably to vent spent waste fumes (which I can't smell).

Overall design not to my taste but it's a functional bit of kit that will live in it's protective bag for most of it's life so not much odds to me.

Not much danger of accidental lighting as all you have to do is take the bottom bit/fuel reservoir off, turn it around and re-insert it. On the top bit one side feeds the catalizer and the other is a rubber blank.

Cut the fuel off- no heat- simple.

The catalyser hold no fuel on its own so simply separating the two halves and remove the batteries will do the trick if your worried.

Works standing up or on it's side and claims to go for 30 hours on one fill -up(which is about a fifth of a standard bottle of lighter fluid).

Can't testify to that but after 4 hours it's still going strong which is enough for me and enough for the only reason I would be out in the cold for that long - golf.

Price - about £30 plus delivery

Bill

Intermediate update

Haven't taken it out on the course (see shanks post) but have spent the whole weekend fiddling about and testing it.

In a nutshell it certainly appears to do what it says on the tin (or should that be aluminium) but with a few amendments.

I don't think this gadget was designed with a golfer in mind. Perhaps more aimed at the fishermen among us. Why? because it works best from a full tank of gas and no interruptions rather than the four hours on four hours off were looking for.

It certainly will do that but your going to have to hit the stud igniter quite a bit more in order to get it going at full tilt (which once achieved is certainly as hot as a good hot water bottle and maybe hotter)

My findings suggest an initial burst of 40 seconds followed up with a second burst of about twenty and expect it to take 15 minutes for it to come up to full working temperature.

At this point I can't comment on the long term reliability of this device but I will do come February or March

In summary, my advice to ameliorate the very slight problems is to top it up each time you go out for a round and you'll get the best from it. At a push it will work fine but expect to hit that ignition stud a bit more and therefore carry a set of two spare AAA's just in case.

bill