Ryder Cup 2021

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
The absence of European support is really taking the shine off this for me. Some great golf, mainly from the Americans it must be said, but the European team just seem totally flat and uninspired. So far, as a sporting spectacle, this has not been a good watch.

Somehow I don't think it will have any affect on the result of this year's match.

Damage limitation job already.
The USA have (generally) performed poorly for years now, with captains without a pair persisting with an underperforming old guard, Tiger, Phil etc. Sticker's picks look to be inspirational and while I would never say never, it doesn't look good.
The thing is it with the pool of sensational young golfers at his disposal it was never going to be too difficult a task.

If nothing else this RC will see the end of Europe's old guard, Poulter, Westwood, Casey et al. The bigger problem is the young replacements are all on the ET where they struggle to gain WR points, while the old guard are on the PGA Tour accruing them while not exactly tearing up tree stumps.

Weisberger is a good example of this. He got on the team in last place via the ET, yet is performing as well as any of them.

The ET need a new plan, more picks, perhaps.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Point being Paddy has a team made up of John Rahm carrying a bunch of badly out of form players who couldn't rediscover their form when most needed.
Lots of aging talent who creep into the team , the yanks have all the up and coming superstars it seems ..

Johnson is their eldest no?

We have Westwood, Casey, Garcia , poulter all as important parts of our team .. maybe it's one cup too many for them

Point being Paddy has a team made up of John Rahm carrying a bunch of badly out of form players who couldn't rediscover their form when most needed.
On reflection is it not a case that many of these Euro players accrued a lot of their points in 2019, pre covid. Which is plenty of time for form to disappear.

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
I genuinely feel for the European players. With no support to feed off it must be incredibly difficult to rise to the occasion. I genuinely see no way back into this - with no fans to interact with I just don’t see how the likes of Poulter in particular can get out of first gear.

The crowds and the drama make this event what it is. Sorry, but not sure I’ll be watching beyond today.

Swango1980

Lots of aging talent who creep into the team , the yanks have all the up and coming superstars it seems ..

Johnson is their eldest no?

We have Westwood, Casey, Garcia , poulter all as important parts of our team .. maybe it's one cup too many for them
Although Garcia showed there is life in the old dog yet. Was excellent today. Casey, Westwood and Poulter very poor.

It is just so flat. No spark in the European players, never seen so many missed putts. Some home truths over dinner tonight.

Obviously gotta win both sessions tomorrow and have a great day on Sunday. Almost certain it will be the last we see of Westy, Casey and Poults in Ryder Cup. Meanwhile, McIlroy needs to sort himself out.

simsini

I've been watching the Ryder Cup since Brookline and have never seen a European team play so poorly. Completely outplayed in every department. Honestly, McIlroy 10 down for the day! 😳