Rules / Sportsmanship

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hey playing today and had a thought, basically say for example you usually use a ball for distance so this would be good for a par 5, if you then play a par 3 where you perhaps want a ball that will give you more spin so you change balls between holes. Is this allowed or is it classed as bad sportsmanship for not trying to use the same ball?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can change balls on the tee. I often do this. I "announce" that I'm doing so.
Sometimes it works out favourably, but mostly it's best to stick with the same type of ball all game, as putting is dodgy with changing balls too often.

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nah no person was doing it but it came across my mind as in are you allowed to do it or is it looked upon. Just wondered about it and thought I would rather ask on here then I would know for future reference.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I think you can, unless you are a professional, who have to use the same type. For us, yes, you can change on the tee if you announce it. Like getting an old one out for that tricky island green.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Rule 5-3 gives what covers this. You can only substitute aball that has become unfit for play and the rules cover the proceedure for deciding if it is unfit and if you replace a ball that is not "unfit for play" it is a penalty of 2 strokes or the hole in matchplay

Hope this helps

Chris

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Chrisd that is the rule for changeing a ball during a hole [/quote

Quite right Freddie but I couldn't find anything that covered ball cahging bteween. The pro's, of course alaways use the same spec ball for the whole round.

Chris

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You can't find anything because there isn't anything. You are permitted to change the ball (pros have to use the same type) but you have to inform your playing partners you have done so before starting the next hole

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You can't find anything because there isn't anything. You are permitted to change the ball (pros have to use the same type) but you have to inform your playing partners you have done so before starting the next hole

Absolutely correct.
Well done Homer
;)

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk

Correct. Technically there is nothing in the rules that says you have to inform your playing partners and there is no penalty if you don't, although it's common courtesey (and sense) to do so. Same on the first tee.

MarkE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do professionals really have to use the same type of ball? I thought they used the same basic rule book as the rest of us. As long as the ball is on the conforming list can't they chop and change if they like (between holes)? Obviously they would'nt as they are all paid to use a certain ball. As usual, i'm confused and the more I look at the rule book, the cloudier things become. :D

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this just a contractual issue or something else :D

DCB

Visit site
Look up your Rules Book, Appendix I Section C and Section 1

The One Ball condition can be used by the committee as a Condition of the Competition.

Normally only used in Elite level amateur golf and professional golf.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Quite right Homer, I bow to you and your better reading of the rules!

Chris