Rules - Something New Learnt

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was watching Irish Open yesterday where Gaeme MaxDowell got relief.
The ball was off the green and a sprinkler head was in his line of intended play. Note the sprinkler was not interferring with his stance or swing and he wanted to putt.
I thought no chance mate you'll have to play it due to rub of green, however he got relief!!!!
Turns out ruling states if sprinkler head is within 2 club lengths of the green and the ball is within 2 club lengths of the sprinkler head you get relief.
Well I never :)

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was watching Irish Open yesterday where Gaeme MaxDowell got relief.The ball was off the green and a sprinkler head was in his line of intended play. Note the sprinkler was not interferring with his stance or swing and he wanted to putt.I thought no chance mate you'll have to play it due to rub of green, however he got relief!!!!Turns out ruling states if sprinkler head is within 2 club lengths of the green and the ball is within 2 club lengths of the sprinkler head you get relief.Well I never :)
Standard and widely used local rule as recommended in the rules of golf Appendix 1 Part B - 6

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep. As it's a Local Rule, it's not always applicable, so check the card!

Same applies to playing, other than tee shots, off teeing areas.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep. As it's a Local Rule, it's not always applicable, so check the card!

Same applies to playing, other than tee shots, off teeing areas.

And local rules re stones in bunkers, paths integral to the course, DMD's, etc.

Always check the local rules before teeing off.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not heard that one before - are you sure the R&A would approve that as a local rule?

it sneeks in from time to time but I agree, they wouldn't approve it if asked!

when it does sneek in it's normally poorly worded as well ie referencing 'wrong teeing ground' which is an oxymoron etc

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has to be a dodgy one that. It's not sanctioned in Appendix 1. A tee other than on the hole you are playing is through the green so if your ball lands on one you get on with playing it (often with some degree of relief considering that many a tee has jungle around it).

Isn't there a risk that a club is jeopardising its members' handicaps if they run qualifying rounds with an illegal local rule in place?