Rules Question

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was playing in a 4 ball yesterday and this is ehat happened - we were all on the green one of the guys had his putter under his arm whilst fiddling around in his pocket for a marker to mark his ball. He accidentally dropped his putter from under his arm before marking his ball which fell onto the ball causing it to move. 2 of the guys said it was a shot penalty and the ball should be played from where it came to rest. My view was no penalty and put ball back to where it was originally.

DCB

Visit site
Rule 18-2 covers this, a penalty stroke I'm afraid and the ball should be replaced where it was before the putter dropped on it.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
A curious one, Terry. The 2 guys got it half right and half wrong and you got it half right and wrong. It's just a matter of getting the two right halves together :)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Similar situation to Poults in his playoff in middle east a year or two ago when he dropped his ball marker accidentally moving the ball, penalty shot cost his the playoff and a few quid.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's quite remarkable how easily a ball is moved with a 20p or 5p coin falling on it from not very high. Perphaps a light plastic one would be less likely to? It is probably wise to put the marker down a bit behind the ball and then slide it into place.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Similar situation to Poults in his playoff in middle east a year or two ago when he dropped his ball marker accidentally moving the ball, penalty shot cost his the playoff and a few quid.

I think he dropped the ball onto the ball marker and it flipped over. I think it matters not, if you move your ball or marker it's a penalty and the ball/marker gets replaced. Some wise man said once that you should never tap down your marker with your putter in case it gets stuck on the putter, always bend down and press it with your thumb.... and it'll get stuck to that instead! :):mad::p

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moving the ball when actually marking it is not a problem though. If you are placing or lifting the marker and accidentaly nudge the ball (or replacing the ball and nudge the marker) there is no penalty. Just replace it to where it was and go through the process again.

I learnt this early on when I started as I had been made take 3 penalties during a round for moving the ball when marking it. and thought that was unfair. Wasn't long before I corrected the person that told me it.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your wise man was being needlessly cautious. Tapping down the marker with your putter is considered part of the process of marking your ball, so if it sticks to your putter you can replace it without penalty (Decision 20-1/6). Thumbs would count too!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think he dropped the ball onto the ball marker and it flipped over. I think it matters not, if you move your ball or marker it's a penalty and the ball/marker gets replaced. Some wise man said once that you should never tap down your marker with your putter in case it gets stuck on the putter, always bend down and press it with your thumb.... and it'll get stuck to that instead! :):mad::p

My bad thanks for spotting my deliberate mistake :) :)!!

You also need to be aware with magnetic ball marker getting stuck to putter heads.