Rules question - order of play.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
A simple scenario...

Player A, Player B and Player C are playing Stableford.

On hole 3: Player A shoots a 6, net 5. Player B shoots a 7, net 6. Player C no returns.

On hole 4, they tee in order A - B - C...

Player A gets a 4, net 3. Player B gets a 3, net 2. Player C gets a 3, net 2.

What is the order on the 5th and why?

This caused a discussion yesterday at our roll up.

Pro Zach

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was taught the order should remain A-B-C because nobody had the lowest score. I have just come back to golf after about 15 years off and people now seem to play as the answers above. So I have just looked up the rule (10-2).

I can see why people say it should be B-C-A, but I still think it should be A-B-C.

It says: “The competitor with the lowest score at a hole takes the honour at the next teeing ground.”

In the example no competitor had the lowest score, so it should remain the same order as the previous tee.

Last edited:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was taught the order should remain A-B-C because nobody had the lowest score. I have just come back to golf after about 15 years off and people now seem to play as the answers above. So I have just looked up the rule (10-2).

I can see why people say it should be B-C-A, but I still think it should be A-B-C.

It says: “The competitor with the lowest score at a hole takes the honour at the next teeing ground.”

In the example no competitor had the lowest score, so it should remain the same order as the previous tee.

you don't like rule 32-1 then?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

But as they're playing Stableford it's the Stableford score that counts - not necessarily the number of strokes.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Read a little further - the exception points you to rule 32-1.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
B, C, A, assuming B's 7 nett 6 had a stableford score.

B's score of 7 for a 6 did not score a point. He tapped in the putt for the sake of keeping a score for his own records but it was a zero point hole.

Does this change things? Would we need to go back to the previous hole because both B and C in effect "no returned" on the third.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
On hole 4 the order should have been A, followed by the better stableford score between B and C on hole 2 as B's non-stableford score on hole 3 is irrelevant. Are you sure this was a friendly?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Player A, Player B and Player C are playing Stableford.

On hole 3: Player A shoots a 6, net 5. Player B shoots a 7, net 6. Player C no returns.

On hole 4, they tee in order A - B - C...

Player A gets a 4, net 3. Player B gets a 3, net 2. Player C gets a 3, net 2.

Whether Player B gets a point for his 7 on the 3rd is , to my mind, irrelevent - a 6/5 is always going to beat a 7/6 which is always going to beat a blob

And once they've teed off the 4th in the order A, B, C. the that is the order - move on.

After all it's only Stableford - who cares who goes first..?