Rules query - changing the definition of a club

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was in a 4BBB open at Dukinfield yesterday and after about 6 holes my Callaway (adjustable) driver started making a noise on the top of the backswing. After checking it, is seemed that it needed tightening.

I spoke to my mates/other players about it and we wondered if this would not be possible to do. We know you can't change the loft etc once a round has started and one said about not being able to repair a club mid-round, by changing the characteristics of a club.

I didn't have my wrench with me anyway, so was not tempted and drove the ball great all day (apart from the last).

Just wondered though.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
phil mickelson had to tighten his driver not so long ago. he checked with the rules offical before doing so or just to clarify with him what he was doing!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can repair a club or change it during a round as long as you do not change its caricaturists. The damage is done though normal play and also as long as you, do not unduly hold up play.

P.s. Damage in play includes breakage due to leaning on it like a walking stick. But not things like hitting it against a tree or your bag in temper.

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you sure ? Doesn't sound like a typical golf use to me

Yes 100%. also if you damage it trying to fish your ball out of the lake with it. Funnily enough I was looking at the rule, on the R&A site only the other day. Thats the only reason I know to be honest.