Rules Q?

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
PLayer tees off and hits into very deep rough
Declares a provisional and hits it down fairway (short of original ball)
Hits provisional again into hole.

Does he have to look for initial ball ?
Can he now declare the provisional ball to be the ball in play before the opponent goes to look for the original ball ?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having played the PB from further away from the hole than his original ball, his original ball has not been lost (declaring your provisional ball to be the one in play is just a variation on that perennial myth about declaring your ball lost). He has not holed out because his PB is not in play. The player will have to remove the ball from the hole before anyone finds his original ball, at which point the OB will be deemed "lost".

That was written without checking, but I'm pretty sure it is correct.

Edit: It was correct. Decision 27-2b/2[h=2][/h]

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
PLayer tees off and hits into very deep rough
Declares a provisional and hits it down fairway (short of original ball)
Hits provisional again into hole.

Does he have to look for initial ball ?
Can he now declare the provisional ball to be the ball in play before the opponent goes to look for the original ball ?

He can't declare it the ball in play but he will have to be quick on his feet and get it out of the hole before anyone finds his original ball.

B****r, Colin beat me to it.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Teamwork :cheers:

Don't know about that - for my part it's either an abominably slow broadband connection (I live in the back of beyond with my tin can connected by wire to another in the telephone exchange) or, more likely, old age.