Rugby Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Good call on steward, having such a great season for us. Our young scrum half is looking a real prospect as well so Youngs will have some competition on his return.
Just watching Saints v Exiles

Mitchell looks very good at scrum half, would like to see him get a chance at a few minutes for England.

D

Deleted member 15344

Lions Tour Announcement Time

Really enjoy watching the Tour but think this is going to feel a lot different

Tour Captain no surprise is Alun Wyn Jones

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
In all honesty, I have surprisingly little interest in this Tour at the moment. No away fans, player bubbles, it is just not a proper Lions tour to me and it will be very hard to be able to train a squad up to the right standard under covid restrictions.

Personal feeling is that it is an unnecessary risk at the moment and should have been delayed until it could be done properly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Backs: Josh Adams, Bundee Aki, Dan Biggar, Elliot Daly, Gareth Davies, Owen Farrell, Chris Harris, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart Hogg, Conor Murray, Ali Price, Louis Rees-Zammit, Finn Russell, Duhan van der Merwe, Anthony Watson, Liam Williams.

Forwards: Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Luke Cowan Dickie, Tom Curry, Zander Fagerson, Taulupe Faletau, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Iain Henderson, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Courtney Lawes, Ken Owens, Andrew Porter, Sam Simmonds, Rory Sutherland, Justin Tipuric, Mako Vunipola, Hamish Watson.

D

Deleted member 15344

So players missing out that surprised me

Sam Underhill
Garry Ringrose
Jonny May
Kyle Sincklar
James Ryan

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at that squad I am thinking that Ben Youngs is not the only one who declined the chance to be considered and who can blame them. Irrespective of anything else, they are signing up for the best part of 3 months in a covid bubble.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Eight Scots.........good to see.(y)
Chris Harris perhaps a surprise, but a good one.
I thought Redpath might have got that spot.
Price a bit of a surprise for me, teaming up with Finn again probably in his favour.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Seen that Gatland has picked a super strong side to start the tour down in South Africa against the Gauteng Lions.

Hope South Africa can get some decent match practice before the test matches. I am not that confident about this series because we have played zero rugby since that World Cup win

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well theyre not going to be doing any training to improve things, Lood de Jager has tested positive and the whole squad are now isolating!

Not sure if I have mentioned how much of a mistake this tour is before. Only a matter of time before there is a case in the Lions squad and then we have to start cancelling matches. No way either team can go into the tests fully prepared.

Will have to see on Friday if the promises that SA had a big enough squad to honour all fixtures even if there were covid cases is correct.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure if I have mentioned how much of a mistake this tour is before. Only a matter of time before there is a case in the Lions squad and then we have to start cancelling matches. No way either team can go into the tests fully prepared.

Will have to see on Friday if the promises that SA had a big enough squad to honour all fixtures even if there were covid cases is correct.

you may have done once or twice Greg ;) hard to disagree with it!!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
you may have done once or twice Greg ;) hard to disagree with it!!!

Did not even watch the match at the weekend. Whole thing just seems like nothing more than a cash grab now. All of the elements that made a Lions tour special were removed as soon as you took the fans out of the equation.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did not even watch the match at the weekend. Whole thing just seems like nothing more than a cash grab now. All of the elements that made a Lions tour special were removed as soon as you took the fans out of the equation.

Not seen any of it either, long way down my sporting priorities currently! If youd have said that to me a few years ago..........

(albeit partly a hangover form the Sarries situation on my behalf)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not seen any of it either, long way down my sporting priorities currently! If youd have said that to me a few years ago..........

(albeit partly a hangover form the Sarries situation on my behalf)

On the back of improved Tigers performances I would normally be jumping at the chance to watch the Lions matches. Watched the under 20s 6 Nations on Youtube and the Ireland and England matches on channel 4 but had no hype for the Lions at all.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Strong rumours going around that both the SA match against Georgia and the Lions match at the weekend will be cancelled.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
saw one rumour that the Lions would play Georgia!!! Thats how farcical its getting

Think it was just a suggestion put to the Lions management but if it gets them game time they would be happy to accept. Trouble is that both of the respective unions need the TV money from this too much and I suspect it will have already been budgeted for. Sadly the tests will go ahead even if it is with third string teams with little or no preparation time.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ridiculous thing is, if they had listened to other proposals and played the matches in the UK or in Australia, we could be having a spectacle of rugby with full crowds.