Royal?

Peter_Clark

Visit site
Does anyone know how Golf courses get the word 'Royal' tagged on to them. Do they have to have been played by a past or future monarch?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think a member of the royal family has to become a 'patron' of the club before it can use the 'Royal' prefix. It's not just that a royal has played there - otherwise Prince Andrew would be creating dozens of new ones every year!

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
There are 34 Royal Courses in the UK. 20 in England, 8 in Scotland, 4 in Northern Ireland and 2 in Wales. It begs the question whether the Royal seal is handed out to much-with so many clubs with the title does it takes away from the honour? Maybe the rules for being given the title should be tightened up.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are only 3 in Northern Ireland as far as I know - and I live here. :) There's Royal County Down, Royal Portrush and Royal Belfast. If there are any more I'd like to hear about them! There's also Royal Dublin in the Republic of course.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
An interesting point Muttlee, because there are only three course’s given the name in the manor you would expect, but there is also Down Royal Park Golf Course, County Antrim. It was given the Royal name because it lies within the perimeter of Down Royal Race Course-which was granted a Royal Charter in 1684 by James II- another way of getting the Royal name.