royal dornoch

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
played 3 rounds here in there open weekend a week or so ago,could it live up to all the hype, it did and a bit more for our group,we played it off yellows 6222yrds on the friday night and thought yes tough but scoreable,off whites 6595yrds sat and sunday a differant course again and that was with no wind, for the time of year the course was in excellant condition,lot of the greens are raised anywer from 4ft up to about 15ft,which if you dont hit the green or you roll off ,your left with a hard chip or a hard to judge putt, front 9 hugs the side of a gorse banked hill were anything left is dead,back 9 you come back along the beach, stand out holes are par3 2nd to a raised 15ft high green ,4th long par 4 with the huge green turned at a slight angle,6th a par 3 looks like its built into the hillside with a 15ft drop off to right, couple bunkers left, then gorse all the way up the hill, 7th very hard par 4 479 yrdswith non of our group in the 3 days hit in 2,or parred it for that matter, 8th a nice par4 drive to top of ridge then around 200yrd 2nd shot downhill, 10th nice par3 reminded me of the 13th at carnoustie, 14th another strong par 4, around 450yrds which you hav to be left off the tee ,down the right theres these raised grassy banks every 50yrds that just gather your balls up, and then the green which must be 50yrds square, if there if a weak hole on the course it would have to be 15th shortish par 4 with a big hump in middle of fairway, 17th for us was best hole we played all week ,drive to top of ridge and hope your ball make the slope down to lower level, then a 2nd shot of around 200yrds to a raised green with a very tight entrance gorse and bunkers left and right,18th long par 4 with another massive green just a shame its around 100yrds from the watching eyes from the clubhouse, a 3putt is never far away here even from inside 10ft, clubhouse friendly with good food,when we was there par 70 css was 76 and that was with no wind at all, i think i will struggle to play a harder and more enjoable links course

Attachments

• dornoch 028.jpg
    dornoch 028.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 36
  • dornoch 012.jpg
    dornoch 012.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 23
  • dornoch 019.jpg
    dornoch 019.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 23
  • dornoch 015.jpg
    dornoch 015.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 23
  • dornoch 010.jpg
    dornoch 010.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 23

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't agree about the 15th, i think its a great risk, reward hole. One of your few birdie chances on the course. Mind you i've driven it and 3 putted a number of times.:)