Rory - is it psychological?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How many times does he get himself into contention one day, only to have an absolute stinker the next day? Or, thinking back to Sunday, have an unbelievable round once he's just about out of contention.

It would be crass in the extreme to call him a bottler, but it does seem to me, that, much more than other top golfers, his mindset is what's killing him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, he seems like a real thinker. Kind of the opposite of DJ for example. Probably why he likes having his old friend on the bag so he can chat to him and get out of his own head more. He probably overthinks everything, whereas out of contention, with the pressure off, he just chills out completely and his natural ability shows.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I think it is for sure. He's constantly reminded about the time it all fell apart, constantly being asked about the slam, he didn't have any particularly good memory around Augusta.

Saw Faldo interviewed earlier in the week and was asked about Rory. He suggested that currently there was too much scar tissue for Rory, and he needed to blow that away in order to move forward. Hopefully, Sunday's round has just done that. He's now got a really good memory around Augusta, and can hopefully move forward using that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think it is for sure. He's constantly reminded about the time it all fell apart, constantly being asked about the slam, he didn't have any particularly good memory around Augusta.

Saw Faldo interviewed earlier in the week and was asked about Rory. He suggested that currently there was too much scar tissue for Rory, and he needed to blow that away in order to move forward. Hopefully, Sunday's round has just done that. He's now got a really good memory around Augusta, and can hopefully move forward using that.
This...
What happened to him, when he should have won but imploded, would have, left mental scars on anyone....
I bet he, momentarily, thinks about those tee shots on 1p and 13 every time he sets foot on them.....
Takes time to heal those kind of memories.
What happened on Sunday will go a long way to repairing the damage....

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s golf

It has mental aspects to it and he may still think about that 2012 final round

But it’s a sport that people don’t master

Rory has gone through swing changes and different coaches etc

He is no different to anyone else

It’s a very competitive sport right now and many will get a few majors but no one will win like Woods did

Rory will get himself another major at some point

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree that the scar tissue and implosion and throwing such a great opportunity has to hurt and he's always carrying it with him. Add in he needs the Masters for the career grand slam and so there is another layer of pressure and it's a tough ask. Sadly though it isn't just Augusta and we've said for a while he seems to string three good rounds and then have one really poor one to drop too far out of contention. There are still too many lapses in concentration especially on the greens. I think he'll win some big events but I don't think he's got a major left in him

Leftitshort

Visit site
Totally agree that the scar tissue and implosion and throwing such a great opportunity has to hurt and he's always carrying it with him. Add in he needs the Masters for the career grand slam and so there is another layer of pressure and it's a tough ask. Sadly though it isn't just Augusta and we've said for a while he seems to string three good rounds and then have one really poor one to drop too far out of contention. There are still too many lapses in concentration especially on the greens. I think he'll win some big events but I don't think he's got a major left in him
What he needs is some golfers CBD. All his mental problems will melt away

D

Deleted member 23270

Of course it's mental. Every golfer on tour has the ability to birdie every hole and shoot 18 under par but only a few have the balls to hold it together when it counts.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Ask Cam Smith. Or watch Cam Smith next year when he faces a similar situation.

Or consider Jordan Spieth who has already faced a similar situation.

On the other hand there must be plenty of golfers who have crashed and burned on the back nine of ANGC and later gone on to win it, I just can't think of any.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have an unprovable theory / opinion that Rory is the victim of sports psychology.

At his peak he was young and carefree, hitting incredible shots for fun without really trying. Not thinking very much. He was raw natural talent. His success brought the giant sponsorships and with those it attracts all the pressures to maintain the edge and that then brings in all the hangers on, yes men, and advice givers.

Rory’s personality has evolved from carefree to careful and considered. It’s the disconnected robot style of calm and living in the moment that the psychologists preach. It works for some, but it doesn’t or can’t work for everyone.

What I think we’ve seen in Rory over the later years is him under the tension between his underlying raw talent, and the psychology of playing within himself one shot at a time.

He’s only at his best when he doesn’t think. I think his head is mess, caught between subconscious urge of talent and conscious sports psychobollocks.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont think anyone should get too carried away with this final round or tournament for that matter.
Whilst it was a great round and it did bring him back into it near the end, he wasnt really in the shake up so didnt have to play with the pressure of winning or losing the tournament.
Agusta sets up the course on Sunday where you can make a score if you play aggressively and hole your putts. Rory is more than capable of shooting the lights out on any given day. Sunday was one of those days.
The real acid test was the tougher days earlier in the week and he failed to hang with the leaders and once again found himself too far back to catch up.
I feel like I haven't seen rory play well when the going is tough in years. Bit of wind. Forget it. Wind lays down hes out peppering pins.
I'd be more excited if he was to actually keep in touch and have a real chance on sunday.