Rory’s switch to Nike - is it one of golf’s myths.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rory’s switch to Nike is often mentioned as a turning point, it even came up on the GMac club thread, yet I’m sat watching Rory’s 2014 season on Sky and he’s got a Nike putter certainly and I think Nike clubs.

Quick google and the switch was announced late 2012, with Nike in play for the 2013 season.

So for those that can’t recall, Rory won 2 majors, a WGC, Ryder Cup and returned to world number 1.

So am I missing something as the clubs seem fine watching this? His 2013 season wasn’t great but surely that just happens, a bit like Day and Spieth not being up there that much this year?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
whats the question?

he swapped club's and went gash for a year, found the gear he liked and got some form the following year!!!!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hasn't Nike stopped making clubs and Rory's sponsorship is now only for the clothing brand? My recollection was when Nike pulled out of club making, Rory started playing Taylormade.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe what the OP is saying is that people associate Rory not playing well after he moved to Nike clubs. But this is not true as in 2013 (after the switch to Nike) he won lots and was world no.1.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is a myth that has been mentioned many times with people attributing his poor form to moving away from Titliest but he won more using Nike clubs , he also won the Fed Ex using a combination of Callaway and TM.

Rory’s issues when he isn’t playing well aren’t down to him using a specific make of clubs

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Spieth stayed with Titleist this season and has not won anything

so staying with Titleist seems to be the problem

Just using the same data set people use with Rory switching to Nike

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I believe what the OP is saying is that people associate Rory not playing well after he moved to Nike clubs. But this is not true as in 2013 (after the switch to Nike) he won lots and was world no.1.

Exactly that, just put much more concisely. Thanks

It was only because of the 2014 season being shown on Sky that it came to me, but it does seem to put the equipment question to bed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Good question and good points raised, but we will never know how he would be sat now, had he stayed with Titliest. He left a company that he was doing very well with to chase the money. Would we have all done it? Some would some wouldn't.
A couple of years ago him and Speith were pushed as the next Jack and Arnie. It's just not happened

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rory gets the companies to make whatever clubs he wants.

They had Nike stamps on them but good luck trying to buy them in American golf.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I made the point in the GMac thread.

He changed at the beginning of 2013 according to the golf monthly player gear profile.

According to the PGA tour stats he didn't win one PGA event that year. Best was 1 2nd place. European tour stats say he didn't have a top 3 in 2013.

He won 4 times in 2012 on the PGA Tour with titliest !

The point I was making is that some players are sensitive to gear changes. Maybe it wasn't the gear but you can't ignore he moved to Nike and didn't win on the PGA or European tour event for a year.