Roll Back Discussion

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
R&A and USGA have, seemingly, called a presser for tomorrow to announce something..
Speculation is building that they're going to announce some sort of roll back, either of the ball or the driver
No hard info yet but, apparently, some of the ball manufacturers are a little uneasy.....
Watch this space...

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OMG. So optimistic for this.
Will go to sleep crossing all finger and toes that a 15% roll back in ball distance is being triggered. I wouldnt mind over what timeline. Elite competition, then the common golfer over some years, like they did for the 1.68" ball or the COR limit.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Can't say I'm a fan myself - and no doubt the mfrs will very quickly work some technology into the new regs that negate any rule changes implemented.

It's a lot simpler just to ditch the concept of par - especially for the pro's.

D

Deleted member 15344

If they do roll back what is the reason for it ? Courses aren’t being destroyed by length up and down the country and all over the world

Big scores aren’t being seen that’s any different to 20 years ago

So what if some people hit it further 😂 what should it matter

Swango1980

Visit site
Question, what is the problem with the distance golfers hit the ball today? At professional level, we have watched some great tournaments over the last decade. So, why reduce length at all? Why not just limit further advances to allow more length (although how much further would actually be possible, without serious changes in the materials used?)

At amateur level, I've not once heard golfers complain they hit it too far. I've not known any golf clubs, personally, that have had to extend their course in last decade because they felt it had become pitch and putt.

Some of the biggest attractions in pro golf are the big hitting players. Some of the biggest investments in amateur golf are the desire to hit the ball further. To me, it would seem like a huge own goal to reduce the length both amateurs and pros could hit the ball.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Lets face it, as soon as they take distance out of a ball or club, people will just stop buying them - and as I've said before, if they split the rules for the pro's and am's - what's to stop a 'rebel' tour using the amateur equipment that has better technology?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
It will make so many golf courses just so much better over night. Well, over the 5 or 8 years the implementation will take. They will play as designed and golf will be more fun for everyone.

Our course has a 615 yard par 5, a 240 yard par 3 - normally into the prevailing wind.... A double dog-leg par 5 that is practically impossible to reach in two shots. I better stash up on pro v'1s and a few modern day drivers for the days when a tiny handful of people can play a tiny handful of courses, and think "oh yes, this is just as it should be - while struggling to get a driver to go 250 yards.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Amazing how a usual crowd are entrenching with their opinions and nobody even knows what it is yet.

But if we're playing the wild speculation game. I think it's gong to be something really exciting like clarifying what virtually certain means.

Maybe the thread title is guiding the discussion ;-)

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Roll back?

Rick Shiels took a brand new 20 year old Titleist professional 90 and tested it on GC quad vs a new prov1.

Driver was 6 or 8 yards shorter
7i was 3 or 4 yards shorter
SW was 1 yard shorter.

Won’t make a blind bit of difference for me. Also have to take into account that the 20 year old ball has probably degraded a bit.

It’s not the equipment, tiger was crushing it 300 yards in his early days. Golfers are just athletes now instead of being overweight smokers…

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
It’s not the equipment, tiger was crushing it 300 yards in his early days. Golfers are just athletes now instead of being overweight smokers…

No argument with this.... but maybe the equipment needs modifying to stop 350 yard holes becoming par 3s and keeping courses under 8000 yards, just for the sake of practicality!:whistle:

Last edited: