RIP Peter Lorimer

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Possibly my favourite player from back then late 60s into early 70s when Leeds Utd were my English team - and many Leeds players in Scottish team - as they were for a lot my friends. If I was bothered about English football these days then Leeds would be my tram - from back then and for such as Lorimer. So sad to hear the news.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The old Leeds boys are dropping like flies
Really sad, Bremner went years ago, Cherry, Charlton, Hunter all went within the last year.
Peter Lorimer was a boyhood hero ?

Edited as duff info posted

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
As a 10 year old I remember one of my first kits was Leeds, with the little sock tie ups with the players number on them. I had Number7 as he was my favourite player. Very sad.
1_Football-1973-FA-Cup-Final-Wembley-Stadium-5th-May-1973-Sunderland-1-v-Leeds-United-0-Leeds-P.jpg

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I had the start of season squad line-up picture from back then. Not sure if I still have it. I'd have to rummage the loft to find it. Three national captains, Bremner, Yorath and Giles. Fifteen players in the squad with a cap for their country including two goalies - Sprake and Harvey. Bremner, Lorimer, Jordan, Harvey, Eddie and Frank Gray all for Scotland against Charlton, Hunter, Reaney, Cooper, Madeley, Clarke and Jones for England was a real possibility for a home international. Lived in Wakefield at the time so rather biased view, I'll admit.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sad news, and like for so many, one of my childhood hero's.

Maybe its a generational thing but there seems to be so many of my hero's disappearing in recent years.

Visit site
Its odd - I became a Sunderland fan because they beat Billy Bremner's team [Could not stand him]
and then i liked Lorimer and Joe Jordon because they were great for Scotland..but still didn't want Leeds to do owt [sorry NR]

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched the Leeds v Hibs game at Easter Road in 1967 [or 68],
Cracking game with a seriously dodgy Jack Charlton headed goal from a corner towards the end gaining Leeds an ill deserved win.
Stood on the goalkeepers toes seemingly.

Lorimer had a hell of a shot on him, should have got more Scotland caps but he was up against the Celtic players.

www.hiltonpark.net
I met him at my brother's wedding (married to Eddie Gray's daughter). He was a real gentleman and nice bloke and to say my dearly departed dad was star struck would be an understatement, an Elland Road season ticket holder for many years he was one of his hero's.
Eddie Gray was caretaker manager at the time of the wedding (wedding was organised before he got the job) and they were playing a game on the same day and live on Sky. Sky Sports wanted to be at the wedding but Mrs Gray put her foot down so everyone, including many Leeds legends and my dad and brother got to disappear to a cinema room to watch it.