Rights of a criminal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I've seen it said by a few that if you commit a crime and get injured etc then you deserve all you get and that anyone commiting a crime deserves to lose any rights.. Is this a widly held belief, has anyone really thought what this would actaully mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I've seen it said by a few that if you commit a crime and get injured etc then you deserve all you get and that anyone commiting a crime deserves to lose any rights.. Is this a widly held belief, has anyone really thought what this would actaully mean?
Why not just model our entire society on the excellent systems seen in Saudi Arabia, China and North Korea, that’s what I say!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This gets into the murky world of reasonable force, H & S and so on. I think most have little sympathy with a criminal, me included, but we can't have a free for all, no matter how tempting revenge is.

I would like to see juges deal more harshly with spurious claims against business owners, law enforcement etc when injuries have occurred during a criminal act. That doesn't give people a licence to set traps, assault criminals etc. This is where it gets very tricky.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I'm not sure really, I was being told of burglars that had sued the place they were burgling as they injured themselves during said burglary, but I can only find one record of that and the family in question ended up with a massive legal bill over over 150K as they rightly failed in thier attempt.

When I did my CPC, a question in the legal section referred to trespassing inside a builders merchants yard.

Youths were climbing stacks of bricks, and the long and short of it, was, the stack toppled over creating life changing injuries to one youth.

Much to my surprise, the merchants were guilty of not stacking the bricks safely and were held liable and prosecuted, even though the youths had broken into the yard and had caused damaged elsewhere in outbuildings, that they had broken into!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Without any real detail it hard to comment but
Tresspass in itself isnt a crime though and business do a have a duty of care, I guess the bricks could have just have easily toppled over at anytime and poor safety cant just be exscused.

also known as the indiana jones, defense when he realises he's being chased by tribes, shot at, running from big rocks, shot at again, trampled, run over, dumped in snake pit, set on fire dropped out of planes, trains and automobiles etc etc etc.
He spent his life nicking stuff from places with rudimentary H&S but didn't like it when after a thousand years of safety & zero accidents he comes clopping around disturbing things!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
This gets into the murky world of reasonable force, H & S and so on. I think most have little sympathy with a criminal, me included, but we can't have a free for all, no matter how tempting revenge is.

I would like to see juges deal more harshly with spurious claims against business owners, law enforcement etc when injuries have occurred during a criminal act. That doesn't give people a licence to set traps, assault criminals etc. This is where it gets very tricky.

I don't think anyone is asking for carte blanche to kick the living :poop: out of miscreants, but it might be nice if the first focus of these incidents is what the suspect was doing, rather than what the police were doing.

When people go out & flagrantly break the law, they shouldn't be a position to profit from it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don't think anyone is asking for carte blanche to kick the living :poop: out of miscreants, but it might be nice if the first focus of these incidents is what the suspect was doing, rather than what the police were doing.

When people go out & flagrantly break the law, they shouldn't be a position to profit from it.

Thinking on that; I wonder how many criminals will get a covid vaccine jag before I do.
I reckon that since many have chosen to cohabit they’ll benefit from the jab pretty pronto near the top of the list behind essential workers etc… & plenty others who through their crimes come into regular contact with key workers etc will probably also win the covid vaccine lotto

Who says crime don’t pay :unsure:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sadly, there is no story in that, no cheap headline. I agree with you (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i was out on my Bike up near where the wifes offices are late one afternoon and it was getting dark. at the moment its closed, so asked her why it was lite up like a christmas tree??. its a 3 story building all glass.

she told me they have to leave the lights on just in case anyone breaks in and injures them selves and sues them, which has happened before!!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More about the notion that upon being arrested someone loses their rights, I’d say.
If that’s about what we were discussing.
I quite clearly said “suspension of rights while in the act of a crime”
But you seem to read your own version that their Human Rights were being taken away.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i was out on my Bike up near where the wifes offices are late one afternoon and it was getting dark. at the moment its closed, so asked her why it was lite up like a christmas tree??. its a 3 story building all glass.

she told me they have to leave the lights on just in case anyone breaks in and injures them selves and sues them, which has happened before!!!
That’s what I mean by losing the right to sue someone you break into.
The cost of that plus the environmental damage keeping the lights on all night.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What rights did you mean?
The right to sue a business or homeowner because your a crap burgaler and hurt yourself in the act of a crime.
I think you know quite well what I mean , but used the Human Rights card anyway.
That belittles serious breaches of the Human Rights Act.
But then again I could be wrong !

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The right to sue a business or homeowner because your a crap burgaler and hurt yourself in the act of a crime.
I think you know quite well what I mean , but used the Human Rights card anyway.
That belittles serious breaches of the Human Rights Act.
But then again I could be wrong !
Ok well that’s a little more reasonable.:)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who's succesfully managed to sue someone becasue they got injured during a break in?
It’s not the fact that they succeed ,
Examples are there if you Google it.
It’s the cost and time element to business that they are allowed to sue while in the proses of a criminal act.
I am not advocating kicking the living daylights out of them.
I just think they should not have any rights to sue people they are trying to rob .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I googled it, can only find one bloke tried, failed and ended up saddlig his family with 150K of debt for thier troubles.
The problem for a business is not that they will lose but the cost and worry of fighting the case. Even with a nailed on case there is still that nagging doubt to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.