Right leg straightening?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I posted my swing on here last year and a few people noticed that my right leg got pretty straight on my backswing. I recorded my swing again the other day and the right leg is still straightening.

Are there any drills that I could use that would help maintain the flex in my backswing?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I posted my swing on here last year and a few people noticed that my right leg got pretty straight on my backswing. I recorded my swing again the other day and the right leg is still straightening.

Are there any drills that I could use that would help maintain the flex in my backswing?

Can I ask why you think it's a bad thing that your right leg straightens?

4629cddb_right_knee_straight_zps1fe2abc7.jpg

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
here we go again..........

there's straightening, and there's straight (and locked straight - you can't avoid this once you get straight with any load on it)

S&T deliberately uses a straightened leg, and whilst it's proponents can produce all the above images to suggest that these players are also doing that, some will do it from time to time and others (in those pictures) clearly aren't (Watson is the clearest example).

there are solid technical reasons why it works as part of S&T, but if you are not using that swing approach there are reasons it's to be avoided (it creates problems for a smooth transition).

S&T will claim it's not about locking it - any sports physiologist will tell you that a loaded straight leg will go to it's 'locked and loaded' mode.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just avoid locking the leg straight, its not hard to keep some flex in the right leg however small it might be. Some of the pros pictured above still have some flex in the back leg I think the trousers make the leg look very straight.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just avoid locking the leg straight, its not hard to keep some flex in the right leg however small it might be. Some of the pros pictured above still have some flex in the back leg I think the trousers make the leg look very straight.

Agreed!!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
coincidentially there's been a lot of comment on this in the Sky shot centre this week in relation to both the ladies and texas events/players/swings

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What did they say Duncan?

haven't you been watching? :)

they avoided any focus on weight shift but majored on the need to retain some flex (doesn't matter how much) to facilitate a consistent transisition.

they also showed some examples of top players letting it straighten, and then having a big lateral move into the ball (sway!) - Rory got a mention/image.

Mozza73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to straighten my right leg as part of a reverse pivot, with good shoulder turn behind the ball I can't straighten it.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

There are many ways to swing a golf club and having a straight right leg isn't a problem. Below is a clip of Ollie's swing, he is renowned as a good ball striker and his straight leg allows him to get into a very powerful position from which he can really compress the ball. Have a look and see if it helps you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXIWXccZBeM

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I sometimes get a bit stuck and end up pushing the ball right and losing distance. Is something I want to work on in order to get more consistent

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I sometimes get a bit stuck and end up pushing the ball right and losing distance. Is something I want to work on in order to get more consistent

If you are pushing straight right then you won't lose any distance, just direction.

If you are slicing right however, that is a different story altogether.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are many ways to swing a golf club and having a straight right leg isn't a problem. [/url]

I have no idea who Ollie is (can't see video's on this machine) and I agree that there are many ways to swing a club.

However, unless stated to the contrary I assume we are dealing with a 'normal swing' in these threads. Pivoting around a straight right leg in a S&T style can create a huge amount of power - but that wasn't the question I read.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was referring to Jose Maria Olazabel.

Nobody has mentioned S&T as far as I'm aware, I'm talking about a conventional swing.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most of those images they also lift the left heel

I have been trying this to get more hip turn, personally i do not like my right leg getting straight

I concentrate on keeping my right knee turned in slightly ( Hogan )