Rife aficionados.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yo.

The trusty Taylor Made Monza Corza has finally graduated to the golf club retirement home (my shed).

I tried a few putters, TM white-jobs, Never compromise super-mallets, Cleveland mid-mallets, an Odyssey or two and some Rifes.

Anyhow, the surprise outcome was bachelor-ette no.5 - a Rife 2 bar. (Not the Barbados Tropical I was expecting???)

34"? - check. A little upright? - nothing I couldn't fix myself :) - check.

Been getting into it. One small question though....can anyone explain the vertical alignment notch.

So, I'm stood over it and can see the white line through the notch. If it's not dead centre, what do I move? My hands? All of me? My head?

Yours, confused of far far away,

:)

Rsince81

Hacker
Visit site
Hi RGDave,

I have a Rife 2 bar hybrid tour Mallet (the one with the black head). If you take your regular address with the putter, the notch should line up with the white line. if this is not the case, the lie needs adjusting. This is easily done by yourself if you have the rife lie bending tool, available from ebay to buy or borrow from AG. It is simply a case of placing the putter head in the tool and forcing the shaft in the direction required, gently manipulating the hosel until the correct lie is achieved! The head also comes with different weights which can be changed to suit green conditions. I think they are great putters, hope this helps!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks. I've already adjusted it. The thing is what to do when I'm over the ball and I'm standing a little too close or too far away, then it's out again.
Really intriguing idea.....a s'pose a bit like the Wilson Staff Visor thing.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stand a little closer / move back a bit? :confused:

Yes, or adjust my hands? That's what I think I'm asking.

Anyway, played OK with it today, just not a great putter from off the greens. Not well suited to Texas. :(

Made 2 tasty 10 footers for birdies though. Not bad. :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fragger's got himself a Centre-Shaft Rife - Trinidad I think.
Tremendous roll from it and he's pretty decent with it.....

Had a Barbados for a while a few years back, got on ok with it but never really took to it.

Imurg

Visit site
I'm sure the Barbados had a notch.
Line it up with the sight lines and everything's set - I think......

Bit like the Red bit on the Seemore putters

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
What turned you away from the Barbados? The tropical Barbados is top of my list to try at the moment.

Imurg

Visit site
I don't really know Greg, it just didn't "fit" if you know what I mean.
I putted ok with it but it just didn't quite feel right.
If I ever fall out with my No.7 I might give one another go - but not in the rainbow finish....
To be honest I don't like that at all.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What turned you away from the Barbados? The tropical Barbados is top of my list to try at the moment.
I SO wanted the barbados. Even a tropical one would have been great. In the end, I felt the balance on the 2 bar was better.
In all honesty, the TM putters weren't even close. The quality of the new ones was really disappointing. Compared to my Monza Corza they felt horribly cheap.
I'm not doing cheap putters.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I SO wanted the barbados. Even a tropical one would have been great. In the end, I felt the balance on the 2 bar was better.
In all honesty, the TM putters weren't even close. The quality of the new ones was really disappointing. Compared to my Monza Corza they felt horribly cheap.
I'm not doing cheap putters.

Agree with you when it comes to the newer TM Putters. I picked up a white smoke in the pro shop the other day as a possible replacement for my trusty Fontana but the finish on the white head seemed a bit cheap and the grip seemed alot thinner. Will try a Barbados next time I get near somewhere that sells them (and I like the tropical finish)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does it have the notch? If so, do you ever look at it.

Yes it has the notch, I always keep that lined up.

It's interesting that some like the tropical rainbow series and some don't, feed back wise the finish on the abuca wore off pretty quick in patches, and for that reason I got the cayman brac in a standard finish.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes it has the notch, I always keep that lined up.

Thanks for that; it's a starting point.

They are lower loft putters, yes? I must say, I can't see myself putting from off the green with the length of our fringe grass.

I reckon I might try the heavier weights next time out. Rolls the ball well, but not as lively as AGSI face.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used a Rife 2 bar mallet until recently. I set the notch up to the alignment mark when I first got it and never looked at it again.

a great putter from inside 15 ft, but I did occasionally catch the ground before the ball on long putts, that combined with the problems from the fringe caused me to try a more bladed putter style - 26 putts on Sunday, so it's staying in the bag :D