rhythm

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Anybody got any good techniques for maintaining/remembering the same rhythm?

I definitely think my ball striking's main determinant is rhythm. With my irons if it's on song I hit straight or very gentle draws, if it's off then it turns into a hook (sometimes a viscous one). Sometimes I have difficulty getting it right or I lose it midround.

Any swing thoughts or techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most good swings are in the ratio 3:1

Regardless of speed - think Nick Price to Ernie Els - the tempo remains a constant 3:1 backswing to downswing.

Count 1,2,3 on the way back and 4 on the way down.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Think 'Sev-erian-a' on the way back and 'Ballos-teros' on the the way down.

For a while, my entire swing was covered by 'Seve'!

And you are correct. Rhythm (what I believe Imurg and many others erroneously refer to as tempo) is incredibly important. Tempo (speed of swing) can be vastly different for different players.

Think Metronome. Rhythym is 'perfectly metronomic'(though 1:1). Tempo can vary - according to where weight is placed/length of cycle.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Do not rush the transition :)

This for me.

My only thought when I swing is "wait" when I get to the top of the backswing.

I don't literally stop, but it reminds me to let my backswing finish before starting down.

Interestingly. I was watching some recorded golf (Greenbrier classic) last night and Dennis Pugh was talking about something similar.

I'll see if I can find it on YouTube.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Think 'Sev-erian-a' on the way back and 'Ballos-teros' on the the way down.

For a while, my entire swing was covered by 'Seve'!

thats a count of 5 on the way back and a count of 4 coming down, 123 back and 4 coming down is better as it should be an accelerating swing remember

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
thats a count of 5 on the way back and a count of 4 coming down, 123 back and 4 coming down is better as it should be an accelerating swing remember

When the emphasis is SEV-ri-AN-o BALL-es-TER-os, it's pretty much 123-4 when the ball has been hit (after BALL). And there's pretty much agreement that what happens after impact matters not a lot - as long as there IS a release/follow through. I've not checked mine out recently, but the comments I've had seem to indicate rhythm is fine.

It's a case of finding your own personal best rhythm - and slavishly adopting any specific technique is fraught with potential problems.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do not rush the transition :)

+ a lot!

When I get too quick in the backswing and start down too early my arms get pulled up by the weight of the club and give me a little 'over the top' move.

When I make it feel like I stop at the top I hit the ball so much better.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
+ a lot!

When I get too quick in the backswing and start down too early my arms get pulled up by the weight of the club and give me a little 'over the top' move.

So important.

If I rush into the down swing, snap hook here we come.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
+ a lot!

The question has to be - why do you get too quick in the backswing/start down too early!

While neither is actually desirable, I think a slightly too quick - but full - backswing is not as bad as a slightly too slow/deliberate one - which tends to have far too much incorrect tension involved.

Timing is the another aspect of the swing that has to be 'right' for a good result - another major one is Balance. No point having a flowing swing if it's out of sync - the clubface will almost certainly be pointing in the wrong direction for the shot, in spite (or even because) of the subconscious trying to adjust.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is my issue at the mo, get it right and the ball flies straight as a die or slight fade, wrong and its top/thin/slice/balloon

will try and remember the seve one, once its grooved I am sure the feeling & timing will mean not having to think of the saying eventually. A bit like in the army with the 1-2-3--1 for doing drill

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The question has to be - why do you get too quick in the backswing/start down too early!

While neither is actually desirable, I think a slightly too quick - but full - backswing is not as bad as a slightly too slow/deliberate one - which tends to have far too much incorrect tension involved.

Timing is the another aspect of the swing that has to be 'right' for a good result - another major one is Balance. No point having a flowing swing if it's out of sync - the clubface will almost certainly be pointing in the wrong direction for the shot, in spite (or even because) of the subconscious trying to adjust.

I'd guess me getting to quick is a result of either over-confidence or wanting to smash the ball miles. The trouble is, when it happens I don't know I'm doing it.

I only discovered it by accident as well. I video'd myself and have an app on my phone that leaves a faint trace on the screen as it plays, and it was so obvious watching it back that my arms lifted and moved slightly outside at the top of the backswing.

I slowed myself down, video'd again and that move is gone.

I wouldn't say it's now slow, but slower than it was.

I think everyone has to find their own tempo. I'm not very well built or muscular in any way so the club can drag me about if I'm not careful. A stronger person than me probably wouldn't have the same problem.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here's the pics. Hopefully in the first one you can tell the path my hands have gone up on.

Before

c94004b6.jpg

After

e33f4044.jpg