Reverse K Set Up

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had a relevation recently with my driver where I exhaggerate the reverse K set up. My stock shot is now high and fairly straight or a slight draw. Where the horrible slice was a regular occurrence it's now becoming a thing of the past.

I saw an interesting video by Dan Whittaker recently explaining that this reverse K set up should be for every club. Where it feels natural with the driver because i want to hit up on the ball, it feels quite unnatural to me with my irons. Does anyone apply this set up with their irons? And if so, do you have any advice on how to get into the position?

Any help would massively appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had a relevation recently with my driver where I exhaggerate the reverse K set up. My stock shot is now high and fairly straight or a slight draw. Where the horrible slice was a regular occurrence it's now becoming a thing of the past.

I saw an interesting video by Dan Whittaker recently explaining that this reverse K set up should be for every club. Where it feels natural with the driver because i want to hit up on the ball, it feels quite unnatural to me with my irons. Does anyone apply this set up with their irons? And if so, do you have any advice on how to get into the position?

Thanks,
Neil

what sometimes called reverse K set up happens in a good set-up with driver - because of a couple of main reasons the forwards & elevated driver ball position along with the wider stance width & and slightly more pronounced secondary spine tilt (trail shoulder lower than lead + trail hip tad lower than lead hip) with a head position that's a good bunch of inches behind the ball

not to much of the above applies to iron shots as mostly are off the ground (or very low tee) with a stance width that's a tad narrower along with a ball position that's closer to or at center (in relation to sternum center chest so head position at or very near to back of the ball) so the secondary spine tilt is a lot less

if thinking of arm to club 'shapes' formed at address set up it's a tad more useful to think (staying with letters of the alphabet analogy) of a Y shape - take a look at Pro set-ups from face-on (caddy view) whole bunch of them on Utube - & should be able to see the difference with their 'K' type driver set-up to their set-up with an iron

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks,
Neil

Interesting. DO you have a link?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting. DO you have a link?

Homer all it really speaks to is the angle of the legs/upper body when viewed from the caddy view (face-on). so the reverse K means the leftside of body looks straighter as the rightside more as the angle side of the K

more pronounced with the driver due to the wider stance width & forwards ball position so the trail shoulder and trail hip are lower than the corresponding leadside

[video=youtube;_hpCzrL_PVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hpCzrL_PVE[/video]

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
tried it tonight, hit a load of shermans, the rest pulls:(

it's nothing mega different to a normal sound set-up with weight pressure through center feet

just can help folks rotate the trail hip on a decent angle in the backswing - particularly if they have more of a hip slide motion in the takeback/backswing

thing is have to be careful as the hip turn is deeper that the arms & club don't get 'sucked' back inside in the takeback as easy from there to have a case of pulls ... or worse 😖

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thing to really avoid as well is locking the back leg straight as you rotate in your backswing.

Always maintain a little flex at the knee, not always the most intuitive thing to do as you turn but very important.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks,
Neil

No
With the driver, you hit the ball on the way up with no divot and the head behind the ball at impact.
With the irons, you hit the ball on the way down with a divot and the head in front of the ball at impact.
So while the reverse K may help with the driver, I don't believe it helps with the irons. IMO

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it's nothing mega different to a normal sound set-up with weight pressure through center feet

just can help folks rotate the trail hip on a decent angle in the backswing - particularly if they have more of a hip slide motion in the takeback/backswing

thing is have to be careful as the hip turn is deeper that the arms & club don't get 'sucked' back inside in the takeback as easy from there to have a case of pulls ... or worse 😖

I'm more a hip slide on the follow through. really struggle staying behind the ball at times