Repainting iron lettering

titleistkid

Club Champion
Visit site
Afternoon gents,
Has anyone ever repainted the lettering in their irons? I have just acquired a used set of MP37s and the was planning on redoing the paint on the back and sole. Has anyone tried this and if so what paint did you use and what was the outcome (photos if poss. please). I've tried this in the past with nail polish and had various degrees of success. Ideally trying to get them to look like this (sorry for huge link):

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http...&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:57&biw=1276&bih=879

p.s opinions on blue ferrules, i thought they were pretty cool, available from eBay US

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I painted out a bad sky mark with black nail polish with clear over(you get extra hard stuff called Sally Henson which i use for fly -tying). But only as it was distracting, not for aesthetic appeal.

I get the feeling you'd be forever re-doing it on your irons without professional techniques. I suppose something like car or meatal paint would be your best bet.

It does seem a wee bit pointless to be honest- no offence

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've done it many times.I use Humbrol model enamel.Give the irons a good scrub and make sure thy are completely dry.The paint needs to be put on quite thick,then the excess wiped away (a piece of tissue folded over the edge of an old credit card)and the club kept level till the paint starts to dry.

titleistkid

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks mungo, thats a good tip. I had been using a cotton bud dipped in acetone to remove the excess but it sometimes ruins the finish of the paint in the lettering. Can't wait to get home (via B&Q) and give it a go. Will put up some photos of the process for anyone thinking of trying it. Another question, did you remove the chipped paint before or just paint over it? if so, what did you use to strip the original?

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
B&Q do a liquid that strips paint off metal which has worked for me in the past but it can take a few applications. Probably no problem in just layering the paint on what's already there. as long as you've cleaned it well.

baileydog

Hacker
Visit site
Thought about doing my Mizunos, when i had the fitting the clubs had yellow paintfill which looked pretty nice.

I'd get rid of the old paint though before putting the new
stuff on.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are not changing the colour it's easy peasy. No fancy stuff required, a small pot of acrylic paint, you use very little. A kids paint brush,I don't bother, some loo paper and that's it.
First I put some loo paper on my finger, dip it in the paint then rub it well into the number or letter then get some clean loo paper, fold it flat then wipe it over the letter keeping it flat to the club. A couple of swipes later the letter should be filled and the club clean.Continue with the rest till finished then leave over night to dry.
It really is simple mate.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks mungo, thats a good tip. I had been using a cotton bud dipped in acetone to remove the excess but it sometimes ruins the finish of the paint in the lettering. Can't wait to get home (via B&Q) and give it a go. Will put up some photos of the process for anyone thinking of trying it. Another question, did you remove the chipped paint before or just paint over it? if so, what did you use to strip the original?

Just paint over the original paint,don't bother trying to remove the old paint first,as the old paint will give the new paint something to key onto.
I get my paints from a local model shop,take the club with you for an exact match.The paint comes in tiny pots,and to be honest it goes a long way.The gloss paint look a little shiney at first,but after scuffing the ground a few times the finish will dull,and look far more like the original finish.Hope this helps.