Relevant information to record during a round?

time

Visit site
Hi,

I hit 18 for the first time yesterday, but probably average closer to 20 most of the time.

Is there any benefit in tracking certain parts of your game while playing for example; putts, fairways hit and GIR? I don't want to spend to much time recording everything in my round, maybe 4 or 5 at a maximum after each hole.

I think it's important to ensure everything you record has a purpose, that is to say the statistic says something about your game and points out areas you need to improve.

What would you consider the most beneficial things to record?

---

I thought something along the lines of:

1. Fairways
2. GIR
3. Shots inside 50 yards
4. >2 putts

These are indicators of tee shots, second shot, short game and putting.

Thanks

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i record -

Fairways
GIR
Putts

which should give you a clue as to which bit of your game needs improving..

I sometimes try different clubs off the tee to mix it up, i will note that down as well.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get Scoresaver2 (about £35 as a one time hit). Records all the main stats. Simple to mark as you go round on the pre-designed card (10 seconds tops when marking the scorecard) and about 5 minutes to enter into the PC. Builds up a great picture over amonth, a quarter, six months and a year

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't record anything. Just don't see any point. Its obvious what bits are rubbish, without putting it down on paper. For example if I'm hitting GIR but walk of with boggy or worse. Its obvious the putting is crap. No need to write it down really.

Sorry but to me it seems some people. Spend more time putting down their stats. Than sorting their swing out. But guess its each to their own.

time

Visit site
I don't record anything. Just don't see any point. Its obvious what bits are rubbish, without putting it down on paper. For example if I'm hitting GIR but walk of with boggy or worse. Its obvious the putting is crap. No need to write it down really.

Sorry but to me it seems some people. Spend more time putting down their stats. Than sorting their swing out. But guess its each to their own.

I record 3, which takes literally 2 seconds and I don't think it detracts from my game.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said each to their own. If you don't know whats wrong without writing it down, good luck. Still think its a waste of time though. I would rather think about what went wrong with the last shot(and sort it there and then), than write about it for later.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Each to their own, but then I like numbers and stats anyway.

It's surprising how often I walk off the course thinking a certain part of my game was worse than normal only to find out later that it really wasn't.

The general impression you get about a round isn't always right, well not for me anyway.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sometimes my putting feels a bit off as if I've not holed any, but in reality it's because I was not even on the greens or so far from the pin that I didn't really have a chance... then there's those days when I just miss a heap of short ones.... :mad:

There's so many different 'kind of days' that you can have you might aswell not worry about them and just get your butt on the practice ground!!! :thup:

Too many stats is just like getting too technical with your swing... paralysis by analysis..... something I never do......... :whistle:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to think I was terrible putter but since keeping stats , it's my best stat.
I think it is a good idea to keep a record of your round so you can see where you lost the shots, then you have an idea where you need to improve

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a few stats! I did the same with putting on Sunday, came away thinking I'd had a bad day with the flat stick but the stats said different! The driver was the bad boy that day but didn't feel like it!

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
Stats only help though in context. You can miss every fairway by 2 inches, be in the first cut of rough and have a decent shot to the green but the stats will tell you that you couldn't drive that day.

You could 2 putt every green but the stats don't say that you missed 10 putts from within 3 feet.

Just saying :)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Top Answer Dave