Recommendations of courses Aberdeen

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Going up to play Trump Aberdeen this Sunday, going up Friday going home Monday but could squeeze in a game those 2 days and Saturday.

Any recommendations? Looked at Murcar and Cruden bay but they are not cheap ! So maybe do one of them. Which of the munis would be recommended. I like good views particularly sea views.

Thanks in advance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
never played either of the Council courses; Kings Links and Balnagask. Both look OK, but not what you would call beautiful scenery around them. The docks or council estate;)

Further out is Newburgh, back 9 is really nice and good sea views there.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Cullen or Peterhead are both sea views, both a tad outside Aberdeen. Peterhead is a really tough links experience especially in the wind.

Newmacher is excellent, inland and no see views but very much worth playing.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I would drive up to Fraserburgh, definitely a 'hidden gem' that has been on my radar for a while. Green fees around £50-60 depending which day you want to play.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I saw a offer for Murcar for 70pounds yesterday and didn't book it, but its gone now! Gutted. But happy to try other courses Royal Aberdeen was recommended to me by my pro but 180 pounds per round!

I thought golf in Scotland was meant to be cheap, considering I live in Surrey where I am already paying through the nose I am quite surprised at what they are charging up there.

craiglester

Hacker
Visit site
Hooker

I would also add Stonehaven to the list of possible courses for you to play. Plus I would back Jacko_G and drive4show chooses of Cullen, Peterhead and Fraserburgh.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Peterhead is in great condition just now played there open 2 weeks ago a gentle start then some cracking holes ,well worth the trip and not that bad as it used to be to get there. Stonehaven take a hard hat with you playing there:whistle:

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I would also recommend Peterhead. Starts fairly slowly but changes spectacularly with the 8th and 9th being two of the best links holes anywhere. Well worth the money.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I thought golf in Scotland was meant to be cheap, considering I live in Surrey where I am already paying through the nose I am quite surprised at what they are charging up there.

Haha. I thought this before I started going up there for golf breaks. I think it's cheap to be a member (or guest) because it's subsidised by tourists paying a lot. On the east coast where I've been, anywhere half decent has been expensive. Not gone West yet to compare.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played Peterhead today, the course is lovely but has suffered from a lack of rain and looked a little burnt. The full price is £65 and i played a few holes with a couple of the members and the best of it on my own which was great as i constantly had my phone out taking pictures. I paid 35 twilight rate which is only available online.

Had a look around cruden bay on the way back which also looked pretty burnt. So maybe all the links courses will be similar.

Will have a look at the parkland courses tomorrow and see if they have any deals going. Doubtful though being a Saturday.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Played Peterhead today, the course is lovely but has suffered from a lack of rain and looked a little burnt. The full price is £65 and i played a few holes with a couple of the members and the best of it on my own which was great as i constantly had my phone out taking pictures. I paid 35 twilight rate which is only available online.

Had a look around cruden bay on the way back which also looked pretty burnt. So maybe all the links courses will be similar.

Will have a look at the parkland courses tomorrow and see if they have any deals going. Doubtful though being a Saturday.

Links courses should be burnt and firey in the summer. That's what makes them such fun to play. Lush green grass just isn't links golf.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are right, I found myself chipping for eagle on the 18th hole after finding a minimum of extra 30 yards on each shot! (ended up having to putt a 5footer for par though:mad:). It was a challenge to hold the greens on the approach shots, totally different to how I play on my home course.

The only previous links experience has been during the winter months, more used to sideways wind and rain!

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You are right, I found myself chipping for eagle on the 18th hole after finding a minimum of extra 30 yards on each shot! (ended up having to putt a 5footer for par though:mad:). It was a challenge to hold the greens on the approach shots, totally different to how I play on my home course.

The only previous links experience has been during the winter months, more used to sideways wind and rain!

Glad you are enjoying it up there Charlie me boy

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad you are enjoying it up there Charlie me boy

Thanks Chris.

Decided to splash out yesterday and played Cruden bay.

Quite a stunning course and I imagine outrageous fun to play with friends.

I decided not to get paired up and played by myself which was a mistake as I really got beaten up.

It is quirky and you really need to plot your way around. Doing this by yourself and not having any clue what to do often on 2nd and 3rd shots meant a lot of walking up (and down) to get a lay off the land.

It wasn't as fiery as Peterhead and. I putted like a knob so was brought back down to earth.