Recommend me a golf ball retriever

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Some cash burning a hole in my shorts so recommend me a ball retriever please...

I still have the one I was gifted when I started playing with a starter set of clubs and feel it’s time to upgrade (I guess I see this as a weak part of my kit)

I’ve looked at models online but not sure these are quite right (I know what you’ll say, get down to AG and try a few out first but I don’t have one local to me)

I want telescopic for use in bush’s, water hazards etc rather than ball out the hole type

Anyway what would you recommend and what are the must have features i.e should I go for one with a head-cover like the Callaway 15ft? But I don’t want to be swayed simply by the name as I’ve also seen PGA Tour & Masters retrievers so assuming these are good enough from a quality perspective over the Dunlop one I have

Oh I play off 24 so can’t really consider the Japanese handmade stuff for my game
(that last bit was obviously just a joke :))

Visit site
You need to provide more detail on the playing conditions on your local course before you can really expect anyone to answer. For instance, what percentage of your bush retrieves will be beyond 6ft, 9ft and 12ft. What is your estimation of the ratio of prickle fielding shrubbery to non-? And crucially, have you even considered the lividly water viscosity and pH yet?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some cash burning a hole in my shorts so recommend me a ball retriever please...

I still have the one I was gifted when I started playing with a starter set of clubs and feel it’s time to upgrade (I guess I see this as a weak part of my kit)

I’ve looked at models online but not sure these are quite right (I know what you’ll say, get down to AG and try a few out first but I don’t have one local to me)

I want telescopic for use in bush’s, water hazards etc rather than ball out the hole type

Anyway what would you recommend and what are the must have features i.e should I go for one with a head-cover like the Callaway 15ft? But I don’t want to be swayed simply by the name as I’ve also seen PGA Tour & Masters retrievers so assuming these are good enough from a quality perspective over the Dunlop one I have

Oh I play off 24 so can’t really consider the Japanese handmade stuff for my game
(that last bit was obviously just a joke :))

Try a Labrador, dog or bitch it doesn't matter.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is there a local golf shop you can get down to so that you can check the weighting of each offering?

You don't want something that is too heavy at the retrieval end. Very important.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The black widow one looks nice.

Do you need a left handed one, because I'm sure it only comes in right hand only.

It does indeed and the 8 point ball grip is a plus because I don't want to find a decent pole that has a poor cup design... seen some horror holes with one of those from an FC!!

Downside is that the black widow 2 or something will come out in a couple of months which will affect the resale value of whatever I get now but I guess you have to jump in at some point :angry:

D

Deleted member 1147

Make sure you get the correct cup loft, by lofting up I got an extra 5 inches reach on mine

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Indeed, the mark 2 will be out soon enough, and will give an extra 17 yards of reach, but is it controllable at that distance?

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest, with your handicap you'd be better learning to use the one you've got. Use the money to buy some retrieving lessons and get a pro to show you how to do it properly. Spend some time on the practise pond ingraining any changes and then, once your h/c starts to come down, you can think about an upgrade.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Am thinking of exchanging my labrador for a spaniel because Adam Scott's got one. I have been watching the vids, and I can look the same. Taking my old lead, and going for a custom fit at the rescue centre tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest, with your handicap you'd be better learning to use the one you've got. Use the money to buy some retrieving lessons and get a pro to show you how to do it properly. Spend some time on the practise pond ingraining any changes and then, once your h/c starts to come down, you can think about an upgrade.

See, this is an area I've always struggled with. My local facilities just don't have the right practice grounds to learn to use the retriever correctly. It is so frustrating, because I know my technique needs improvement.

D

Deleted member 1147

Am thinking of exchanging my labrador for a spaniel because Adam Scott's got one. I have been watching the vids, and I can look the same. Taking my old lead, and going for a custom fit at the rescue centre tonight. Will let you know how it goes.

I've actually gone the Mickleson route, I carry two - a Jack Russell to go under branches, a Great Dane to go over branches, and they both love a swim which is a bonus!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
See, this is an area I've always struggled with. My local facilities just don't have the right practice grounds to learn to use the retriever correctly. It is so frustrating, because I know my technique needs improvement.

Yeah, it can be difficult but a bit of imagination would solve this problem. Seve didn't have practice facilities - he just practised on the beach.

All you need to do is lob a few balls in the nearest canal and you can hone your technique there. If you can retrieve balls from a skanky canal, avoiding hazards like shopping trolleys and random body parts, then you can take that skill to any course in the world :thup:

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've heard rumours that the v2.5 tour model is going to have an adjustable head so could worth waiting for that.

I would always recommend getting custom fitted, I used Golden Retrievers for mine and they test grab angles, push and pull numbers as well as getting the right shaft. The shaft is key as you really want to get a good grab speed and I think this is better in the stainless steel telescopic.

Also they are doing a deal where you get a set of free zip up head covers for your iron set....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Oh I should have mentioned earlier but I need the retriever I choose to be metric not imperial
(just in case it changes your recommendations)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Oh I should have mentioned earlier but I need the retriever I choose to be metric not imperial
(just in case it changes your recommendations)

Can't you just pull it out to a set length, and then add ten percent? I've heard the metric ones are more expensive?