Recommend a good DVD and book

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi complete novice, never played on a course, been on driving range twice and intend to take some lessons soon. Have learnt my lessons from other sports and before I pick up too many bad habits I want to learn good technique from the start.

There are so many DVD's and books out there and i don't want to end up following dudd advice. Can someone please recommend a good basic DVD and book for beginners to learn the basics well.

Many thanks

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you can get a hold of Ernie Els' 'How to build a classic swing' on video or DVD I'd recommend it. For the novice it's great as he discusses the very basics such as grip, posture, allignment and so on. For the more advanced player he describes how to move the ball. It's well worth a watch whatever your ability.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would recommend any book on golf from dr. bob rotella. They are really good, but are on the mental side of the game, not the technique.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi complete novice, never played on a course, been on driving range twice and intend to take some lessons soon. Have learnt my lessons from other sports and before I pick up too many bad habits I want to learn good technique from the start.

There are so many DVD's and books out there and i don't want to end up following dudd advice. Can someone please recommend a good basic DVD and book for beginners to learn the basics well.

Many thanks

Jusme,
Forget the DvD and book for a little bit yet.......As you have internet there are plenty of things to learn from the GM website......You'll get a grasp of the basic rules you need to play by as well......
I guess what im trying to tell you is see your pro get a few lessons and let your swing take care of itself.What you see in a book or Dvd maybe completely different to what a pro see's in your natural ability..Be patient above all.....
Starting out you dont want to saturate your mind with so much information about this and that it'll only confuse you......
Your pro should be able to get the fundementals right for you...Grip, stance,Posture, Alignment,......If you get these right then you shouldnt have alot of swing thoughts to clutter your brain.....

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jusme,
Forget the DvD and book for a little bit yet.......As you have internet there are plenty of things to learn from the GM website......You'll get a grasp of the basic rules you need to play by as well......
I guess what im trying to tell you is see your pro get a few lessons and let your swing take care of itself.What you see in a book or Dvd maybe completely different to what a pro see's in your natural ability..Be patient above all.....
Starting out you dont want to saturate your mind with so much information about this and that it'll only confuse you......
Your pro should be able to get the fundementals right for you...Grip, stance,Posture, Alignment,......If you get these right then you shouldnt have alot of swing thoughts to clutter your brain.....

[/QUOTE]

Hi this does sound solid advice and I note your from Ireland. NI by any chance? I am looking for a good pro to take lessons from. There are many around but I wouldn't know a good one from a lemon :) Any recommendations? I live about 10 miles from Belfast in county down and happy to travel in and around that area for a good pro.

nowtfancy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
please note I am in no way qualified to answer a question on the 'ask the experts' section but here goes anyway!

I have found (and am still finding) the Pete Cowan Pyramid of Learning dvd useful at a basic level for stance & alignment, and it looks like it will continue to be useful as I progress (do i sound confident of progression?!)

I'm sure it helps that I've just started having lessons at his academy, but would recommend the dvd.

Welling

Hacker
Visit site
im after this dvd anyone found it cheaper than £14.99?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000RZJTMI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new
please note I am in no way qualified to answer a question on the 'ask the experts' section but here goes anyway!

I have found (and am still finding) the Pete Cowan Pyramid of Learning dvd useful at a basic level for stance & alignment, and it looks like it will continue to be useful as I progress (do i sound confident of progression?!)

I'm sure it helps that I've just started having lessons at his academy, but would recommend the dvd.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi this does sound solid advice and I note your from Ireland. NI by any chance? I am looking for a good pro to take lessons from. There are many around but I wouldn't know a good one from a lemon :) Any recommendations? I live about 10 miles from Belfast in county down and happy to travel in and around that area for a good pro.

Sorry Jusme,
Im from the south pal....Limerick city....
Have you not got any pro's up your way?

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do have a pro near me. I guess I am just cynical. How do you know they are any good. I hate wasting money and fear that they would do nothing or worse....harm long term (i.e. teach me bad things). Is there any such thing as a bad PGA pro? or should i just trust and get on with it?

P.S can someone give me a guide to cost of lessons, i.e is it usually an hour or half hour and how much? I have no idea whatsoever. ta

RoyPalmer

Medal Winner
www.play-better-golf.com
Anything by Joseph Parent or Bob Rotella will help with the mental side (obviously very important). I also like Nick Bradley's '7 Laws Of The Golf Swing' - great instruction combined with some excellent illustrations.

RoyPalmer

Medal Winner
www.play-better-golf.com
Just started reading 'Golf In The Kingdom' and judging by the reviews on Amazon I'll either love it or hate it. It's a book that seems to split its readers down the middle.