Reccomendation wanted for long hybrid

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Despite now breaking 80 on the odd occasion my ability to hit fairway woods is still shocking.... So has anyone come across a hybrid that was ludicrously long?

I have 3 iron in the bag which is approx 215 carry and my 4 hybrid around 205 but I do regularly miss a club that has the ability to fill the gap between driver and these clubs.

Cheers all Adam

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The question I would ask is if you have a 3 iron with 215 carry where on your course do you need something that you hit longer than that?

What fairway clubs do you have?

RichA

Visit site
I've got a Ping G425 2 hybrid and rarely get my fairway wood out of the garage. I have the hybrid cranked up 1.5° and get about 200 yards carry + plenty of roll.
If I could carry a 3 iron 215 yards, I can't imagine why I would have bought the hybrid.

D

Deleted member 18121

The question I would ask is if you have a 3 iron with 215 carry where on your course do you need something that you hit longer than that?

What fairway clubs do you have?

I have 3 tee shots that require a 220-240 shot, and I find it difficult to reduce my driver down to that distance with accuracy. I also have 2 par 5s that I often find I'd like to have a go at but can't squeeze what's currently in my bag to that distance.

I could happily lose either my 4 hybrid or 3 iron in favour a club to fill this gap as they are very similar distances, but obviously different flights.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've got a Ping G425 2 hybrid and rarely get my fairway wood out of the garage. I have the hybrid cranked up 1.5° and get about 200 yards carry + plenty of roll.
If I could carry a 3 iron 215 yards, I can't imagine why I would have bought the hybrid.

Exactly my issue, my 3iron and 4 hybrid perform very similar tasks with different flights.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a 19 degree M1 hybrid that when hit well goes a long way, I haven’t had it in a simulator but from positioning on the course I’d say 230-240, then a 4 iron (23 degrees) which will go about 215. Tried a Titliest u500 3 iron at the range yesterday, no idea on distance but was so easy to hit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 3 tee shots that require a 220-240 shot, and I find it difficult to reduce my driver down to that distance with accuracy. I also have 2 par 5s that I often find I'd like to have a go at but can't squeeze what's currently in my bag to that distance.

I could happily lose either my 4 hybrid or 3 iron in favour a club to fill this gap as they are very similar distances, but obviously different flights.

so the next questions are

Why do you need a 3 iron that carries 215 yards (noting that you say this can be dropped out of the bag).

Do you have trouble with fairway woods because they have to little loft. Do you have an adjustable one, can you increase the loft and have you tried different shafts.

On a personal note fairway woods off the deck are my worst shots switching to a a High Loft (16.5 degree) made a difference for me.

The easiest way to reduce driver length is to go down the grip by a couple of inches rather than altering the swing.

D

Deleted member 18121

so the next questions are

Why do you need a 3 iron that carries 215 yards (noting that you say this can be dropped out of the bag).

Do you have trouble with fairway woods because they have to little loft. Do you have an adjustable one, can you increase the loft and have you tried different shafts.

On a personal note fairway woods off the deck are my worst shots switching to a a High Loft (16.5 degree) made a difference for me.

The easiest way to reduce driver length is to go down the grip by a couple of inches rather than altering the swing.

I live on the coast so often play links courses and the 3 iron is a useful tool.... I also strike my irons well compared to fairway woods which I struggle with. Whether it's low loft issue I'm not sure, but the bad shot is a top.

I played yesterday and ended up gripping right downt the shaft of my driver with a 3/4 swing to get the distance I wanted, but as I don't play that often I'm more comfortable hitting a normal full shot rather than trying to manufacture shots.

My 4 hybrid is the least hit club in the bag so that's the one I'm looking to replace .

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Despite now breaking 80 on the odd occasion my ability to hit fairway woods is still shocking.... So has anyone come across a hybrid that was ludicrously long?

I have 3 iron in the bag which is approx 215 carry and my 4 hybrid around 205 but I do regularly miss a club that has the ability to fill the gap between driver and these clubs.

Cheers all Adam

I can’t help with the original question, but in order to deliver the distance you’re after, any hybrid is likely to be just as hard to hit as the fairway wood. Is it a 3 wood you carry at the moment? You could look at a 4 or a 5 for example.

As a more general point though, if you’re consistently hitting the distances you quote and with accuracy, but only scraping into the 70s from time to time, you’re barking up the wrong tree looking at a fairway wood as the route to improvement. Assuming you’re in play off the tee, even if you only ever hit your 3 iron you’re got more than enough to be always in the 70s.

D

Deleted member 18121

I can’t help with the original question, but in order to deliver the distance you’re after, any hybrid is likely to be just as hard to hit as the fairway wood. Is it a 3 wood you carry at the moment? You could look at a 4 or a 5 for example.

As a more general point though, if you’re consistently hitting the distances you quote and with accuracy, but only scraping into the 70s from time to time, you’re barking up the wrong tree looking at a fairway wood as the route to improvement. Assuming you’re in play off the tee, even if you only ever hit your 3 iron you’re got more than enough to be always in the 70s.

I don't carry a fairway wood at all... I go 3i to driver because over the years I've never been able to consistently hit one.

I'm not looking for a club as a route to improvement, I'm looking for a club to fill a distance gap in my bag.

In terms of route for improvement, putting is something I know I can improve on. Yesterday I shot a +7 gross 77 which consisted of three 3 putts and 1 pulled tee shot - lost ball for a triple bogey 7.

On the whole I'm hitting fairways and greens but only playing twice a month means I know that my progression is limited from here on in.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't carry a fairway wood at all... I go 3i to driver because over the years I've never been able to consistently hit one.

I'm not looking for a club as a route to improvement, I'm looking for a club to fill a distance gap in my bag.

In terms of route for improvement, putting is something I know I can improve on. Yesterday I shot a +7 gross 77 which consisted of three 3 putts and 1 pulled tee shot - lost ball for a triple bogey 7.

On the whole I'm hitting fairways and greens but only playing twice a month means I know that my progression is limited from here on in.

I’d take a look at a 5 wood or a 7 wood. Just try a couple and see how you go, particularly if you’ve not hit one for a while.

I don’t carry a fairway wood either, but I do have a mini driver to deal with the kind of distance you’re talking about. Only use it off the tee. Don’t ever find myself needing to hit a fairway shot longer than 200, rarely even do that as the risk / reward balance tips too much towards risk for me. I’d rather layup in the fairway for a 125 yard approach than smash it as near the green as possible and risk leaving a very awkward shot.

I’d recommend a mini driver if you can cope with not using it off the fairway. It’s like an easy to hit driver, and easier to use than a regular 3 wood off the tee.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Get a Utility Iron or a 16* hybrid. Alternatively you could try lessons for FW and get a wood.