Realgolferuk VS TonyN - Match Play

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst Dave is on holiday, we decided to set up a knock not to far from where he is staying and at a course I play quite regually.

Old Padeswood Golf Club for those interested

I have met with Dave before at a range in Wrexham, so I was thouroughly looking forward to his company, and knowing he plays off 12, I was relishing the challenge.

We agreed to meet at 14:30 hours, and I arrived at the range down the road with 30 mins to spare. I'll just knock a few down the range to warm up I thougt, don'y want to pull any muscles. Nothing to do with the fact I needed all the practice I could get.

Anyway, after a great range session I felt good enough to go have a real go at him and headed down to the club. There he was, waiting to great me with a big friendly smile.

After changing our shoes, wighing in the pro and discussing the dated course guides we headed up to the first tee. Playing to roughly 15 in the last few weeks dave very, kindly offered me 4 shots once we agreed on match play.

I'll not go into great detail about the game but after a solid start from dave I quickly found my self a couple of holes down, and he didn't even know the course! He was solid, right from the off. Even when his tee shots were influenced by the wind he still managed to get in close, up and down and sink the putts like his life depended on it.

His game was a real pleasure to watch and he was just too good for me on the day. I suffered off the tee with a couple of duffers! My short game was good but 2 shanks with a wedge dashed any hopes of a late come back, and in the end Dave beat me 4&2.

We cracked onto the last 2 holes and the really are something to finish on. Dave took a great drive, a mid iron and a wedge to get on the dance floor on the 17th par 5. I did it the hard way, driver, topped 3 wood and a great 3 wood. We both had monster putts up hill with a nasty right to left. I went first, bottled it and it came back at me! Dave knocked it to within inches for another solid par, storey of his day!

18th is a 175 par 3 to a slightly lower than tee green over a little valley of nasty rough. Dave take sout his rescue and boshes it to the pin only to see it pop through the back, a cracking chip back on and 2 solid putts gam him a gross score of 80, just 8 over for the whole day. He really deserved it and played like a demon, he even appologised to me for 'being lucky and steady' what a gent!

Anyway,I had a disater and finished a shocking 95, but it was one of the best rounds I have played in a long while, and although I'd love to beat him someday, I'd also like the pleasure of him beating me again too.

A quick drink infront of the first tee and a discussion about others courses and we parted ways, me back to work, and him back on his Jolleys!

Looking forward to the North west meet, and hopefully he will join us.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a good one. Well done both of you. I always like hearing about our members meeting up for a game. it's such a sociable sport!
Makes me look forward all the more to our outing at North Berwick on the 22nd.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is what golf should be about !!! A great day out with great company....less worry about the mechanics of the game and enjoying it regardless of the outcome . Good to hear it .
I just hope the Cobtree manor meet up goes as well on the 30th :)

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great write up Tony, sounds like the pair of you had a good time and that it was thoroughly enjoyable. Congratulations on your score Dave thats certainly very decent.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah it was a great round, I was sorry I couldn't give him more of a game but i was out of character yesterday so was a bit weak from the tee. I think Dave could probably go back and break 80 on that course now he knows it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Dave texted me earlier and said he had played really well and thoroughly enjoyed the game and your company. He is a good golfer when he gets in the flow as I found out when I played him. Great write up and I'm glad you had a good day

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Homer, You know what, aswell as he played,I have a sneaky suspicion that I didnt get to see his A game.

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site
Nice one Tony, I think you have just got yourself the reporter job for the North West meet in Preston. Looking forward to meeting you there. Hopefully, we will all enjoy our day as much as you guys did yesterday.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey Tony! Just found a wi-fi spot and checked out the new-look forum. Very good of you to do a write up, and thanks for finding such a great venue.
In fairness, you should have got 6 shots (and played off 18) and your guidance (like a good Caddy) probably helped me more than I deserved. (Tony offered lots of advice on the blind 2nd shots!)
It was a great afternoon....I thought we were both a bit too relaxed....the age old thing of being more keen to play steady and not embarrass oneself in new company, rather than fighting like a terrier for the win!

I've got to say that your swing is coming on really well also. For those that don't remember the story, Tony has swapped from cack-handed to regular (overlap/interlock?) and been putting in some serious effort. It certainly shows! Excellent posture and set-up, nice turn (good and still, with not too much lateral movement) and many other good habits settling in. It shows that you still think about stuff....which is good, 'cause you don't want to get sloppy.

I got off to a quick start (just 1 over after 5) and from there, I just kept it steady. I was pleased to be close to you on the long drives and adopted a conservative strategy all the way round, GIR parring all the 5s on the day. I wasn't scrambling well or putting aggresively, but t.b.h. it struck me a few hours later that the score of 8 over is the best I've managed in a long time....it was a course that suited me, and on a different day it could have gone all your way!

Cheers,

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
See what I mean guys/gals, he's too kind haha.

Very kind words on my game there Dave, Thankyou. Not that bad really for 5 months work.

Like I said, it would be interesting to see you play that course again now you know it, and I would be more than happy to accompany you again!

Aldersey Green is a must and if anyone wants to join us to make a 4 that would be even better!

I thought it was only fair I tried to give you as much knowledge as I had, it was worth it for your approach on the 17th!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aldersey Green is a must and if anyone wants to join us to make a 4 that would be even better!

Yes, for sure......we should try and get 4 together and we'll take on the "visiting" 2 ball.
There are a few living around here (Shrops/Cheshire) on the forum, but the two closest are laying low a.t.m.

I'll PM some dates for Aldersey.

Now.....just to get my head around getting from deepest Wales to west of Edinbugh on Sunday.....it's gonna be a long trip!