Ready to get going with Solar PV & batteries - where to find installers

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel now could be the time to pull the trigger on getting battery storage and solar PV for the house.
The problem now is where to find reputable installers? Obviously I need to get a number of quotes, but there are literally dozens (maybe hundreds) of RECC and MCS approved companies out there.
It almost feels like the industry is dangerously similar to how double glazing was 30 years ago - full of potentially fly-by-night unscrupulous outfits.
How to choose which ones to contact?
I know there are a few on here who have taken the plunge (pauljames87 the obvious one).
How did you all go about selecting your installer?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel now could be the time to pull the trigger on getting battery storage and solar PV for the house.
The problem now is where to find reputable installers? Obviously I need to get a number of quotes, but there are literally dozens (maybe hundreds) of RECC and MCS approved companies out there.
It almost feels like the industry is dangerously similar to how double glazing was 30 years ago - full of potentially fly-by-night unscrupulous outfits.
How to choose which ones to contact?
I know there are a few on here who have taken the plunge (pauljames87 the obvious one).
How did you all go about selecting your installer?

Contacted 4 installers (I was interested in Tesla powerwall so went with who came up)

Of the 4 one didn't get back until I had agreed a quote with another

One did a survey via online (decent price)

One said they were based little too far but happy to quote just might not be able to beat others

The other was the first to actual ring me back and he spent a good hour on phone taking me through everything (jps in Maidstone) he then came out and did a survey

Their price was about £500 more than the other one who actually quoted but because of the time and effort he put in and the feel I got from him I gave them the business

Best decision I made been fantastic

Your right tho so too many fly by night ones now

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Contacted 4 installers (I was interested in Tesla powerwall so went with who came up)

Of the 4 one didn't get back until I had agreed a quote with another

One did a survey via online (decent price)

One said they were based little too far but happy to quote just might not be able to beat others

The other was the first to actual ring me back and he spent a good hour on phone taking me through everything (jps in Maidstone) he then came out and did a survey

Their price was about £500 more than the other one who actually quoted but because of the time and effort he put in and the feel I got from him I gave them the business

Best decision I made been fantastic

Your right tho so too many fly by night ones now
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm in Devon, as far as I can tell JPS don't cover my area.

I guess all I can do is contact a number of them to see which one(s) make me feel comfortable.
I would certainly expect them to visit the site before supplying a quote.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm in Devon, as far as I can tell JPS don't cover my area.

I guess all I can do is contact a number of them to see which one(s) make me feel comfortable.
I would certainly expect them to visit the site before supplying a quote.

They can do a lot of the quoting via Google earth, but you want a survey afters to confirm your roof etc

For example they couldnt see in my loft as I don't have one but I had a photo of the loft being built so they could check out the beems etc of the roof

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I opted for Project Solar, happy with everything from start to finish, despite the feedback on some sites, I never had an issue getting answers when needed

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would go knocking on doors of people near you who have had panels fitted recently and ask about their experience. Nothing beats word of mouth.