re gripping my putter myself tape help

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys i have bough a scotty cameron custom shop grip and i am putting it on my putter tomorrow. It is my first re grip myself how many wraps of tape can i put on my shaft before it gets difficult to get the grip on?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
It starts getting a tad more tricky around 3/4 but lots of white spirit inside grip and on shaft tape does help. Rubber grip vice made it easier I found.

markgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
£2 for this service at American Golf. Makes me lazy!!

AG in swansea do not offer this service they would rather trap you in the shop, practically prevent you from leaving and tell you a load of rubbish and try and sell you the most expensive things in store. Its like going to the medina in Tunisia.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Hi guys i have bough a scotty cameron custom shop grip and i am putting it on my putter tomorrow. It is my first re grip myself how many wraps of tape can i put on my shaft before it gets difficult to get the grip on?

If you have never done this before, do you seriously want to start with a putter grip? Especially over 4 layers of tape? No disrespect intended, but if you get the putter grip absolutely straight it will be amazing, if you get it entirely straight & properly aligned in your first effort it will be a minor miracle. And if you don't you'll be making compensations every time you putt thereafter. I'd seriously suggest that this is one time that you pay someone who knows what they are doing.

I say this as someone who has just had a pro take off & straighten a putter grip that was a) twisted and b) aligned so the putter was closed (and it wasn't a cheap putter). The difference is night and day.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have never done this before, do you seriously want to start with a putter grip? Especially over 4 layers of tape? No disrespect intended, but if you get the putter grip absolutely straight it will be amazing, if you get it entirely straight & properly aligned in your first effort it will be a minor miracle. And if you don't you'll be making compensations every time you putt thereafter. I'd seriously suggest that this is one time that you pay someone who knows what they are doing.

I say this as someone who has just had a pro take off & straighten a putter grip that was a) twisted and b) aligned so the putter was closed (and it wasn't a cheap putter). The difference is night and day.

Agree with this, other clubs maybe wouldnt matter as much but the putter you'd notice.

4 layers of tape is quite alot, if you want a thickerrip then a midesize would be the better way to go.