Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Believe me - some will try and find something political in everything I post…reading my mind or reading between the lines. I myself first became properly aware of import duties when we sent a parcel from Australia to UK back in 2019 - daughter had to pay a whack of duty when postie delivered it to her, and so to today as you point out.
Keep the first sentence of your post and it isn't politcal. Add the next two and it becomes a political post, unnecessarily and clearly. We know where you stand, no need to add the extra comments each time.

People are still facing a shock to the system about import duties, VAT, clearance costs etc. We get delivery drivers every week showing parcels in their van that will be going back because customers refused to pay the extra charges 'because they didn't realise'. 40 odd years of simplicity on that front has changed. Like it or not it is where we are.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Keep the first sentence of your post and it isn't politcal. Add the next two and it becomes a political post, unnecessarily and clearly. We know where you stand, no need to add the extra comments each time.

People are still facing a shock to the system about import duties, VAT, clearance costs etc. We get delivery drivers every week showing parcels in their van that will be going back because customers refused to pay the extra charges 'because they didn't realise'. 40 odd years of simplicity on that front has changed. Like it or not it is where we are.

i must have missed that :ROFLMAO:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Wife sent her surgical loupes for repair to Germany. It was a complete a*se of a job. For 3 weeks it was stuck in logistics and customs. At the end, UPS and the company declared it 'lost in transit'. They replaced it with a brand new one. Great result for the Mrs, but i worry about the additional cost to the company as they are not cheap. Assume they were covered by insurance, which means premiums will go up. Which means loups will go up in cost, which means it will result in increase in cost of surgeries. In a circular way, we will end up paying.

No point debating the car crash, the question is how quickly can it be fixed..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
i had to find out who Nicki Minaj is.. then saw Lineker's retweet... Sounds very influencial and an covidiot.

View attachment 38486
The Lineker retweet was sharp. I'm also enjoying the various retweets of Buster Gonad doing the rounds :LOL:. I was tempted to post old Buster but it may break forum rules so I will let people have the pleasure of googling him ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wife sent her surgical loupes for repair to Germany. It was a complete a*se of a job. For 3 weeks it was stuck in logistics and customs. At the end, UPS and the company declared it 'lost in transit'. They replaced it with a brand new one. Great result for the Mrs, but i worry about the additional cost to the company as they are not cheap. Assume they were covered by insurance, which means premiums will go up. Which means loups will go up in cost, which means it will result in increase in cost of surgeries. In a circular way, we will end up paying.

No point debating the car crash, the question is how quickly can it be fixed..
We export most of our products. The first three months of the year was a horror show for the whole of Europe. Some countries started to ease up through April but Germany was a horror show really until June time. Freight companies were pushing through shipments bound for other countries via Germany and the system just collapsed there. Warehouses were full, movement through customs was glacial. We had shipments stuck for weeks on end but that has ended now.

Shipping across Europe takes on average 2-4 days longer to arrive than it did this time last year. On occasions it will take an extra week on top of the usual time but this happens less now.

Your worry is very valid about extra costs but as long as paperwork is done properly now the logjams and black holes hells are definitely reduced, although Greiginfife may well disagree

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Whoever designed the Tesco shopping app

Whenever we go on our click and collect it takes stuff off as that second it's out of stock. But give it a day back in stock. Just leave it on then on the day if not in stock it won't come...simple

Also they seem to be the only supermarket that don't email to say what's not coming that day when your order is put through the till

Today was classic .. lamb shoulder diced for a curry ... Not available try this (leg) ok cool. What came? Shoulder as leg not available .. steller work
Can't you tell it not to provide alternatives if your choice is not available?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't you tell it not to provide alternatives if your choice is not available?

Yes you can but this isn't that, this is when you add things for example last night we go through the order to check we got everything and add milk or say cheese

Then it goes right this chicken you ordered can't have it taken off order but say 2 hours later go back on chicken back and addable again

It's a design flaw

Mrs added kids food Monday. Tuesday it was taken off

This happened before shortages aswell just a poor app

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Police handling of the accident on the airport roundabout on the A96 today. A trailer had overturned on to the verg, not on the road heading east.so they diverted all traffic via moy, a single track road. All the traffic had to drive past the overturned trailer to get to the diversion, past the unblocked A96 turnoff. Traffic was almost backed up back to Inverness, some 8 miles!!!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
M25 protests: Crash blamed on Insulate Britain activists blocking motorway as woman is airlifted to hospital
Angry drivers remonstrated with 89 protesters from the climate group, who are demanding Government action on home insulation.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
We export most of our products. The first three months of the year was a horror show for the whole of Europe. Some countries started to ease up through April but Germany was a horror show really until June time. Freight companies were pushing through shipments bound for other countries via Germany and the system just collapsed there. Warehouses were full, movement through customs was glacial. We had shipments stuck for weeks on end but that has ended now.

Shipping across Europe takes on average 2-4 days longer to arrive than it did this time last year. On occasions it will take an extra week on top of the usual time but this happens less now.

Your worry is very valid about extra costs but as long as paperwork is done properly now the logjams and black holes hells are definitely reduced, although Greiginfife may well disagree

I’m seeing no discenrnable improvements since the problems began at the start of July.
What I am noticing is items being sent to Europe are far more reliable than those coming in. I send a lot to the Netherlands as well as receive a lot from there. Average to send from point to point is 6 days. Average the other way over the same period is 23 days.

So something is going wrong somewhere and it’s at this end.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m seeing no discenrnable improvements since the problems began at the start of July.
What I am noticing is items being sent to Europe are far more reliable than those coming in. I send a lot to the Netherlands as well as receive a lot from there. Average to send from point to point is 6 days. Average the other way over the same period is 23 days.

So something is going wrong somewhere and it’s at this end.
Wow that is awful. We are lucky in that we largely send out, not bring in. I would have exepcted the issue to be the other way, not the end you are experiencing. That is exceptionally poor after this amount of time.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow that is awful. We are lucky in that we largely send out, not bring in. I would have exepcted the issue to be the other way, not the end you are experiencing. That is exceptionally poor after this amount of time.

Much of it was anticipated. The fact the our European counterparts seem to have sorted their feet out quicker than us is little less than surprising.

Germany was bad but again, seem to have it sorted. Just as I was reading your reply I got a notification to say that a consignment has been placed on hold for unknown reasons and with no SLA on when it will be released.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
On single carriageway I guess that there is no harm in letting oncoming traffic know that you intend to go back into your lane. But truth is I myself very rarely overtake on single carriageway roads. Just can’t be bothered unless it’s a tractor or something else just crawling along. If it’s going 30+ mph I’ll generally just happily sit behind it.

Geez, so someone doing 35 or so on an unrestricted road (60) that you come up behind, you add to. Then someone wishing to overtake needs to overtake the both of you.
However, if we have another "you" come along and join in behind you, then we have three at 35mph on a unrestricted road.
A recipe for trouble.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought I heard this morning that implementation of import controls was being delayed - maybe that’s just for food. Of course it’s not possible to speculate on here as to why you are experiencing difficulties and so I won’t. We can each and every one of us draw our own conclusions.

You just can't help yourself, can you? :rolleyes:

RichA

Visit site
Until we have driverless cars, you ,the driver, is in charge of the steering of the car, not the car.

Relying or tolerating the car doing it ......is bad driving.
What about the brake pedal? Would you tolerate the car braking for you if it prevented you killing a pedestrian you hadn't seen. Not all drivers are perfect.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
What about the brake pedal? Would you tolerate the car braking for you if it prevented you killing a pedestrian you hadn't seen. Not all drivers are perfect.

Are you seriously defending the notion of the car being steered by the car and not the driver.?
The braking you mention is not relevant.

RichA

Visit site
Are you seriously defending the notion of the car being steered by the car and not the driver.?
The braking you mention is not relevant.
Technology that prevents a car with a distracted driver from leaving its lane without them realising.
If it had existed 30 years ago then a few people I knew wouldn't have lost their lives in car crashes, so I guess I'm defending it. I see it as a safety feature rather than an automatic driving feature.
The braking is relevant and similar. Many modern cars have front collision prevention built in to protect pedestrians if the driver hasn't reacted to their presence. The car brakes on its own.