Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I believe the same was said about crash helmets, seat-belts and airbags in the past.
Accidents and crashes happen.
But if you can't keep the car in-between 2 white lines about 3 metres or more wide..then you shouldn't be driving....full stop. End of story..
Good tech but an answer to a problem that shouldn't be there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On motorways and DCs - Yes....you're changing lane.
On a single carriageway road, unless you want to die, you have to come back to the only lane you have so you don't need to tell people that you're going to do it - they already know.
On single carriageway I guess that there is no harm in letting oncoming traffic know that you intend to go back into your lane. But truth is I myself very rarely overtake on single carriageway roads. Just can’t be bothered unless it’s a tractor or something else just crawling along. If it’s going 30+ mph I’ll generally just happily sit behind it.

D

Deleted member 18588

But if you can't keep the car in-between 2 white lines about 3 metres or more wide..then you shouldn't be driving....full stop. End of story..
Fortunately the tech can be overridden.

RichA

Visit site
I don't disagree with you, but even before mobile phones there were people driving cars while reading maps, looking for sunglasses, getting tins of sweets out of the glove box, slapping children sitting behind them, etc.
If the tech keeps them in their lane while they're doing it rather than ploughing head-on into someone I care about then I hesitate to dismiss it out of hand.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Maybe if instructors were better ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
People in the middle lane of the M4 texting.... seen it often... speed cameras won't catch these folk. :rolleyes:

I've just overtaken a BT Openreach van on a dual carriageway, he was all over the shop. Turns out he was on a call to someone on his mobile, one hand holding the phone to his ear, the other hand gesticulating wildly about something.
I thought the irony was tremendous ?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My car tells me off if I'm on a phone call over 15 mins .. says reduce length of call or pull over

Not Ness tech at all.. people should be able to make their own judgements... But still clever and works .. gentle reminders never hurt and could save a life

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just overtaken a BT Openreach van on a dual carriageway, he was all over the shop. Turns out he was on a call to someone on his mobile, one hand holding the phone to his ear, the other hand gesticulating wildly about something.
I thought the irony was tremendous ?
It blows my mind that these vans don't have hands free as standard. Same with tradesmen doing exactly as you have described, I see it near every day. The tech is there. If it isn't standard, tick the option or get one fitted ?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It blows my mind that these vans don't have hands free as standard. Same with tradesmen doing exactly as you have described, I see it near every day. The tech is there. If it isn't standard, tick the option or get one fitted ?

Totally agree.

In fact IMO any company supplying a mobile and vehicle should be liable if they do not supply hands-free systems. Expecting staff to use a vehicle and, potentially answer/ make calls while mobile are encouraging law breaking are jointly liable for any consequences.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
My car does that... amongst other things. Think the salesman thought I was at it on the test drive because every "cool feature" he demonstrated my only response was "can that be disabled?".
Its called “Lane Assist” and it goes crazy when roadworks direct you over the lines and it goes positively mental if you cross a hatched area

It’s meant for those nodding off to get a wake up jolt, so has its uses

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its called “Lane Assist” and it goes crazy when roadworks direct you over the lines and it goes positively mental if you cross a hatched area

It’s meant for those nodding off to get a wake up jolt, so has its uses

Always turn mine back on if I've just finished my first night shift just incase

Don't feel tired but can easily sneak up on you

D

Deleted member 3432

Always turn mine back on if I've just finished my first night shift just incase

Don't feel tired but can easily sneak up on you

Mine get quite noisy when I'm driving home after 12 hour nights ?

Better than ending up in the hedge.....

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the subject of the highway code.
When overtaking on a motorway I always thought it was the norm to put your indicator on as a signal you're intending to overtake, but only change lanes when it's clear and safe to do so.
These days it's more indicate as a signal that you're just going to change lanes anyway, and if you don't get out of my way I'm going to shout and screamm at you for not getting out of my way ??
In my day it was - mirror, signal, manoeuvre , if safe to do so :confused: but we didn't have mobile phones .

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it not the case now that in some cars with the lane detection thingy, don't know what it's called, you have to signal or the car will fight you if you try to cross back over the line, I know my mates top of range xc60 does this, I could be talking complete bollocks of course !
My Mazda does this if you do not indicate as it thinks you are veering out of your lane. Turned it off on the second day of ownership.