Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since when have trousers at half mast been a fashion thing? The amount of school kids (13-16 age) in trousers like this is baffling. My god you'd have got ripped to shreds in my day dressing like this.
Adults are wearing them like that as well. You can buy deliberately half mast trousers now. It's been around a for a year or so, could be earlier but I am a long way from fashion so it took me a while to notice. It does look rubbish though, maybe that is an age thing :unsure:

Back in the day you had them when it was near the end of term and your parents didn't want to buy you new ones in case you had a growth spurt in the summer :LOL:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I know you're a driving instructor so don't jump down my throat, but I find it amazing that using a round a bout correctly is not taught. The only thing I can remember being told, many many years ago when I learnt to drive was that " you do not have to signal to leave a round a bout as there is only one way off " . Surely utter rubbish, but I quote it to anyone who cares to listen.
When should you indicate to turn right? When you get to that point should you indicate left? Two lanes as you approach the round a bout. You are going straight on, but there is a left turn immediately as you enter the rab. Which lane should you be in? If you are turning right should you be in the outside lane?

It's a minefield, and I admit to make a hash of things....sometimes.
It worries me that you have such a complete lack of knowledge of how to negotiate a roundabout. I think this is one of those where if you don’t know the answer, you are the problem.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know you're a driving instructor so don't jump down my throat, but I find it amazing that using a round a bout correctly is not taught. The only thing I can remember being told, many many years ago when I learnt to drive was that " you do not have to signal to leave a round a bout as there is only one way off " . Surely utter rubbish, but I quote it to anyone who cares to listen.
When should you indicate to turn right? When you get to that point should you indicate left? Two lanes as you approach the round a bout. You are going straight on, but there is a left turn immediately as you enter the rab. Which lane should you be in? If you are turning right should you be in the outside lane?

It's a minefield, and I admit to make a hash of things....sometimes.

Ever heard of reading the highway code?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
On the subject of the highway code.
When overtaking on a motorway I always thought it was the norm to put your indicator on as a signal you're intending to overtake, but only change lanes when it's clear and safe to do so.
These days it's more indicate as a signal that you're just going to change lanes anyway, and if you don't get out of my way I'm going to shout and screamm at you for not getting out of my way ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On the subject of the highway code.
When overtaking on a motorway I always thought it was the norm to put your indicator on as a signal you're intending to overtake, but only change lanes when it's clear and safe to do so.
These days it's more indicate as a signal that you're just going to change lanes anyway, and if you don't get out of my way I'm going to shout and screamm at you for not getting out of my way ??
The one that makes me chuckle every time is the overtaking on a single carriageway road..
Many times I see people signal right to pull out and then signal left to cone back in.
What's the point of the left signal?
Do you think I think you're going to stay on the wrong side of the road indefinitely? :rolleyes:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The one that makes me chuckle every time is the overtaking on a single carriageway road..
Many times I see people signal right to pull out and then signal left to cone back in.
Do you think I think you're going to stay on the wrong side of the road indefinitely? :rolleyes:

Or the people on a slip road to join a dual carriageway indicate right

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well given the number of drivers that think it ok to undertake, I’m always (at least often on motorways or dual carriageways) going to indicate that I’m coming in once I’ve passed someone - and I can see them in the middle of my rear view mirror (as I was taught)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well given the number of drivers that think it ok to undertake, I’m always (at least often on motorways or dual carriageways) going to indicate that I’m coming in once I’ve passed someone - and I can see them in the middle of my rear view mirror (as I was taught)
On motorways and DCs - Yes....you're changing lane.
On a single carriageway road, unless you want to die, you have to come back to the only lane you have so you don't need to tell people that you're going to do it - they already know.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Driving today:

Woman cuts me up at roundabout, I give a toot to let her know I'm there during her manoeuvre which she didn't indicate for at all, she sticks up middle finger out of drivers window

5 minutes later, following a car into the village I live in. The driver stops at a t junction which is always difficult to see both ways on. He pulls halfway over the dotted line beside an already badly parked transit van, turns on his hazard lights and get out with a parcel - he's delivering for Amazon - I put my hands up in a "what are you doing" gesture and he points to the two hazard lights and wanders off leaving me with an even more difficult job of seeing what's coming from both directions

RichA

Visit site
Or the people on a slip road to join a dual carriageway indicate right
With the number of drivers who cruise along like automatons on the motorways, indicating to join from the slip road doesn't do any harm, just to focus their attention if you're coming on - especially if it's busy.
Taking it to the nth degree, there are no circumstances where the use of indicators is a "must" and therefore a legal requirement in the Highway Code, as far as I'm aware. It's just common sense for any given situation. Which might be the problem. Like anything, getting the qualification matters more than actually learning any kind of understanding.

AliMc

Visit site
Is it not the case now that in some cars with the lane detection thingy, don't know what it's called, you have to signal or the car will fight you if you try to cross back over the line, I know my mates top of range xc60 does this, I could be talking complete bollocks of course !

RichA

Visit site
Is it not the case now that in some cars with the lane detection thingy, don't know what it's called, you have to signal or the car will fight you if you try to cross back over the line, I know my mates top of range xc60 does this, I could be talking complete bollocks of course !
True. My Dad's Ford Focus does it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even on its lowest setting, my Mazdarati is just like that.