Random Irritations

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The council had all of summer and lockdown... but NO...

they decided that the best time to resurface the road is the week the schools restart. They have ripped out and are resurfacing a road - which has 2 schools on it. WTF. Someone has a very twisted sense of humor..
Sounds like a good way to get people walking...:whistle:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lack of HGV drivers .. Green bin collection has been suspended indefinitely… Bellissimo !!

Email also says:

Please also remember:

Garden waste cannot be put into your rubbish bin. If this happens the volumes will be such that the crews will not be able to complete the rubbish collections.

It is against the law to fly-tip waste and burning garden waste will cause pollution and a nuisance to neighbours.

Compacting more waste into an already full bin will make it difficult to empty, and the bin might be damage

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not being able to lift my arms properly having spent most of the last 2 days starting to clear the back garden of excess hedges and trees, saw and hedgetrimmer didnt feel that heavy at the time :( more worryingly we havent even scratched the surface of whats got to be done. Oh and garden waste removal firms are overrun and dont seem to want bigger jobs as they can make more money emptying lots of individual garden waste bins :(

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Websites that have an "Accept all" button for cookies but don't have a "Reject all" meaning you have to scroll down the list to turn them all off manually. When I come to power, if you have "Accept all" button you will also have to have a "Reject all" button.

The govt made a lot of noise about this in parliament about giving 'people the choice'.. But all it has done is add another bureaucratic box ticking exercise. I have yet to go to a website and chosen 'reject all' or reject anything for that matter. What was the point in this whole thing?
Anyways, cookies as a technology are disappearing..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The govt made a lot of noise about this in parliament about giving 'people the choice'.. But all it has done is add another bureaucratic box ticking exercise. I have yet to go to a website and chosen 'reject all' or reject anything for that matter. What was the point in this whole thing?
Anyways, cookies as a technology are disappearing..
What are they being replaced with or how will it work going forward?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
What are they being replaced with or how will it work going forward?
Google and Facebook are trying desperately to figure that out.

For anyone who is being a bit lazy and just hitting “accept all” - don’t - take the time to do it properly because you’re often agreeing to mass publisher groups which will cover many different websites. They’re counting on you being lazy and not reading properly.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Also, the UK may set its own rules around GDPR so things may change again there. And without getting too political, if you asked me if the current government would be ok giving businesses easier access to our information, I’d lean towards yes.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Also, the UK may set its own rules around GDPR so things may change again there. And without getting too political, if you asked me if the current government would be ok giving businesses easier access to our information, I’d lean towards yes.

I've recently done an online GDPR test which is mandatory in my role. I think the bulk of it keeps the IA Team in jobs rather than protecting peoples' data.

Not unlike much of current FS Compliance. Eg I wanted to pay an extra lump into my pension, but couldn't do so without an "advice fee" for recalculating the projections following the payment. None of which I needed. Ho Hum.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I've recently done an online GDPR test which is mandatory in my role. I think the bulk of it keeps the IA Team in jobs rather than protecting peoples' data.

Not unlike much of current FS Compliance. Eg I wanted to pay an extra lump into my pension, but couldn't do so without an "advice fee" for recalculating the projections following the payment. None of which I needed. Ho Hum.
My job gives me unfettered access to patients’ complete medical history so there is a huge push for data security here, too. But the actual training provided is little more than watching a short video about the Caldecott Principles and then a test that’s basically impossible to fail every year.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
My job gives me unfettered access to patients’ complete medical history so there is a huge push for data security here, too. But the actual training provided is little more than watching a short video about the Caldecott Principles and then a test that’s basically impossible to fail every year.

Ah, that's the other end of the scale then! :ROFLMAO:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Google and Facebook are trying desperately to figure that out.

For anyone who is being a bit lazy and just hitting “accept all” - don’t - take the time to do it properly because you’re often agreeing to mass publisher groups which will cover many different websites. They’re counting on you being lazy and not reading properly.

dont worry.. take the blue pill and we will all be in a metaverse soon... (whatever that means)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

You failed the first test.... correct spelling is Caldicott Principles :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Google has threatened to block Third party cookies by default.. but this has been delayed.
https://www.invoca.com/blog/tracking-cookies-are-dead-what-marketers-can-do-about-it
Some cookies are there to help the page load quicker next time though, aren't they? Or am I thinking of something else? Will they continue and only the tracking ones stopped?

I read most of the article but I did reach a point where little birds started tweeting around my head and everything went fuzzy :LOL:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the last 2 hours I have seen 4 different cars, none of them Learners, approach a roundabout, signal left and go straight ahead.......
I can't even contemplate the possibility that it could enter someone's head to think that this is the correct thing to do...
I am depressed :cautious:

I know you're a driving instructor so don't jump down my throat, but I find it amazing that using a round a bout correctly is not taught. The only thing I can remember being told, many many years ago when I learnt to drive was that " you do not have to signal to leave a round a bout as there is only one way off " . Surely utter rubbish, but I quote it to anyone who cares to listen.
When should you indicate to turn right? When you get to that point should you indicate left? Two lanes as you approach the round a bout. You are going straight on, but there is a left turn immediately as you enter the rab. Which lane should you be in? If you are turning right should you be in the outside lane?

It's a minefield, and I admit to make a hash of things....sometimes.