Random Irritations

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Iirc French keyboards aren't either. Close, but no cigxr...
Being able to touch type, and then being confronted with non UK keyboards is definitely a random irritation.

Try working for an American co, I have used a USA laptop for the past 7 years! Still can't recall the windows shortcut for the pound sign either!! But can I type on my wifes laptop?! No chance!

That's another thing, laptop keyboards, Grrrr things like the shift button or the length of the space bar, all different!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife has an obsessive hatred of ants. We have those little traps all over the place and the patio slabs look as though they have had talcum powder thrown over them. Ants don't bother me.
I don't mind them in the garden, it's when there's about 40 of them in the house while I'm trying to work, lol.

If they're exploring your house, they don't like cloves. We pack a few into any little cracks they seem to be finding. It works.
If you haven't done it already then get something like this (we use it indoors too)
View attachment 36487
We already had some ant powder in so I've thrown that down around the corner where we think they were getting in. That has halted the tide for now.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
My wife has an obsessive hatred of ants. We have those little traps all over the place and the patio slabs look as though they have had talcum powder thrown over them. Ants don't bother me.

Diluted fairy liquid in a dettol type spray gun. Trust me, my wife is exactly the same!!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Local timber merchants

My mate ordered wood for our garage for this morning delivery

Yesterday they called him to say oh we got a big order going to Kent first (so going over to Kent first even tho our house is like next to them) anyways will be afternoon

Not ideal but fine

2pm no wood

4pm no wood

He tried calling them at 2 turns out the actual office is closed Thursday

So he stuck waiting around on my drive for the wood lol

Waste of his time

If he had known he placed order it wouldn't have been morning he would have gone down and got himself from b &q

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Local timber merchants

My mate ordered wood for our garage for this morning delivery

Yesterday they called him to say oh we got a big order going to Kent first (so going over to Kent first even tho our house is like next to them) anyways will be afternoon

Not ideal but fine

2pm no wood

4pm no wood

He tried calling them at 2 turns out the actual office is closed Thursday

So he stuck waiting around on my drive for the wood lol

Waste of his time

If he had known he placed order it wouldn't have been morning he would have gone down and got himself from b &q

Follow up to the annoyance with some good things.

Wood finally arrived at 1645. It's now 18:20, he is still working away getting the roof in place so it's water tight for the night

This is why I wanted him doing the job. He goes above and beyond the call .

"Not a proper roofer" ha

He also found the garage wiring is dangerous so he is a qualified sparky so new cable ordered rewiring tomorrow

No extra charge except the cost of cable

Feel bad beating him Tuesday in the comp

D

Deleted member 15344

Talk sport getting the Lions radio coverage ??

The likes of Gough and Durham suddenly turn into rugby experts

And right on queue tonight - Durham trying to stir up controversy with the Lions pick , looking for people to phone in and “vent their disgust” that someone didn’t get picked. It was good to see Will Greenwood shut him down quickly- don’t think Durham realises rugby fans don’t act like football fans

Pin-seeker

Visit site
And right on queue tonight - Durham trying to stir up controversy with the Lions pick , looking for people to phone in and “vent their disgust” that someone didn’t get picked. It was good to see Will Greenwood shut him down quickly- don’t think Durham realises rugby fans don’t act like football fans
Just out of curiosity,why do you listen to them Phil??‍♂️

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Estate agents who cant even turn up for a viewing

It is sad to say but I believe the words spoken in earnest all those years ago have now come true but I will leave it to my fellow forumers to make their own minds up…...”In 15 or 20 years the estate agent will have the whiphand over the buyer... as I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see the River Tiber foaming with much commissions”...Yes some of us laughed, even mocked those words, but now sadly, here we are! ?

D-S

Visit site
It is sad to say but I believe the words spoken in earnest all those years ago have now come true but I will leave it to my fellow forumers to make their own minds up…...”In 15 or 20 years the estate agent will have the whiphand over the buyer... as I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see the River Tiber foaming with much commissions”...Yes some of us laughed, even mocked those words, but now sadly, here we are! ?
Having had the misfortune to use an estate agent recently for the first time in many, many years all my former irritations with them from 20 plus years ago still remain. Poor service, misunderstanding of their local market, shoddy admin and mostly prices based on house price % not on services offered. As house prices have risen their prices are now way above any value you can put on them.
Do companies like Purple Bricks etc. do a better, cheaper job? Given things like Rightmove and modern comunication methods costs of traditional estate agents should have reduced not increased and their role has diminished, why aren’t they being overtaken my a different business model?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
A local company here, Holden and Prescott, have won this years Best Estate Agent. They are really good. They price houses to sell. They keep you informed of what is going on. Well, they do everything you'd expect from an estate agent. We've used them twice to sell and once to buy.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It doesn't sound as if things have changes much over the years.
In the early 80's I was house hunting. I gave the local estate agents my 'must haves' (garage, 3 bedrooms, under £50.000) etc
They took all that info and totally ignored it.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recall being in an Estate Agents and hearing one say to a prospective buyer "they're desperate as they're emigrating to Australia and need a really quick sale...make a silly offer" and then realising they were talking about my brother's house!

D-S

Visit site
I recall being in an Estate Agents and hearing one say to a prospective buyer "they're desperate as they're emigrating to Australia and need a really quick sale...make a silly offer" and then realising they were talking about my brother's house!
Exactly this. They are working for the seller not the buyer but you would swear it’s the other way round. Why on earth are they on a % of the sales price? They are mainly an admin service with the internet doing the selling and advertising for them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why is it that every time I shop for shoes/trainers etc the manufacturers have spent god knows how long coming up with 'innovative' new ways of lacing them

When I were a lad there was one way to lace shoes:mad: