Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a chest infection, woke up at 6am in agony. I did a home Covid test Sunday morning when I started feeling ill and it was negative, but I'd better do another one today I think. Only symptoms seem to be this painful, tight chest that comes and goes, plus a bit of a dry throat.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The concept of "correct" spelling is a relatively new one in the history of the English Language. We have Dr Johnson (c 1745 to1756 compiling a dictionary) to thank or loathe depending on your view. For example, it is claimed that there are 6 authenticated examples of William Shakespeare's signature and they are all spelled or spelt differently. By what right can anyone claim to have authority over others regarding spelling - is an interesting debate.
Further reading: SPELL IT OUT, The Singular Story Of English Spelling, by David Crystal.
Now who (or whom) have I irritated, I wonder...
I feel I will soon know.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
As long as we all understand wot each ov us going on about, wots the prob? We're 'avin a chat, not trying to pass exams. In my lasts two posts 'ere, I was trying to take the mick out of the pedants. I fink they calls it "irony".

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just don't use casual email/social media spelling if you ever want to rely on it in court or scientific papers etc. You may find being "wicked" can go the wrong way!!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As long as we all understand wot each ov us going on about, wots the prob? We're 'avin a chat, not trying to pass exams. In my lasts two posts 'ere, I was trying to take the mick out of the pedants. I fink they calls it "irony".

I hate spelling and grammar police, up to a point. Colloquial speak in a written message or text speak - sorry but it just grates with me. Colloquial speak is great when spoken but in a written message its just cwap.

One of my best mates has dyslexia, and I know from conversations how sensitive he is to being pulled up about his emails/engineering reports. It wouldn't even cross my mind to 'police' someone's grammar/spelling. But the m8/g8 text speak... I won't even reply to a text I receive in this format. I know its me and my response to it - I'm an old git.

At the end of the day, what is more important? The 100% correctly spelled, grammatically message about the colour of a table cloth or the one with the odd mistake which highlights a serious issue?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hate spelling and grammar police, up to a point. Colloquial speak in a written message or text speak - sorry but it just grates with me. Colloquial speak is great when spoken but in a written message its just cwap.

One of my best mates has dyslexia, and I know from conversations how sensitive he is to being pulled up about his emails/engineering reports. It wouldn't even cross my mind to 'police' someone's grammar/spelling. But the m8/g8 text speak... I won't even reply to a text I receive in this format. I know its me and my response to it - I'm an old git.

At the end of the day, what is more important? The 100% correctly spelled, grammatically message about the colour of a table cloth or the one with the odd mistake which highlights a serious issue?
The thing about this is that it's completely needless nowadays. It was invented when text messages were 10p and there was a character limit, so kids wanted to get more text into the message so it wouldn't go onto a second message and cost them more. Nowadays texts are unlimited on most contracts, or people use WhatsApp anyway which has no extra charges, so it doesn't save money, and with predictive text including swipekeys, it doesn't save any time typing it either. If I was to write that way it would actually take me longer to think of the textspeak version than the normal English version. So really, this way of writing should have died out by now.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the absolute weapon of an Exec Director in our Milton Keynes office.

2 weeks ago he asked if I was aware that a certain insurer was writing the insurance I was placing for his client? Yes I am and that's why they already write £5m of the whole placement!

today he kicked off as another insurer had quoted half our price and why hadn't we spoken to them? I had but your "great client" asked 5 other brokers to quote and they got the proposal form out quicker (I was off for a week went it was sent to me) and its first come first served.

I had to get to the bottom of it by midday which I did and its turns out that the other quote is on completely the wrong basis and makes all the client's contracts invalid.

I still haven't had an apology from him.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

It isn't just the grammar and spelling, it's more often the lack of effort.
That's just one reason social media is so popular, people don't need to make an effort.
I saw a post on my local FB page and it read...

''looking for work nething going''

No more information, no please or thank you in advance, not even a TIA.

Now, if that guy wanted to be a lawyer, a doctor, an engineer etc etc and he wrote like that on his CV, he'd never get a job.

Mind you, he will probably be happy getting his own YouTube channel and will be a social media celebrity.
One thing is for sure.......he will be able to spell ''like and subscribe''

Voyager EMH

Visit site

I feel suitably chastened. I shall endeavour to be more careful in my choice of words and phrases in order to be more considerate to those who might read my musings. In this I am sincere.

I hope that I will not
Be fragged or fraggered
Get fragged or fraggered.

I identify as “old git” mainly because I have to consult a search engine regarding IMO, FYI etc. So out of touch am I.

I dislike pedantry in spelling and grammar, if it is designed to exclude. It is forumers’ views that I am interested in, not their standard of sentence construction.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
watching about 500 members of the "alternative caravan club" arrive for a funeral at the cemetery round the corner from my house and them not giving a stuff where they abandon their cars - they've blocked drives, bus stops, junctions and have parked on the pavements almost blocking a traffic island.
I've seen 3 or 4 police cars drive past and they've done nothing about it.
the road outside my house is rammed full of brand new Ronge rovers, Mercs, BMW's etc