Random Irritations

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guys that deliver logs for our woodburner progressively providing less per load for the last two deliveries. Trouble is they are really good guys, always busy and i've always felt like i was getting good VFM - but i'm torn whether to say anything to them or shrug and wait for next winter to see if their ratios have changed and look elsewhere

Mandofred

Visit site
...but don't plant the bleedin' stuff in your garden - storing up real problems for the future if you do. If you want to have some in the garden use planters...
Depends on what kind. We had 2 kinds right next to each other when we moved in almost 6 years ago. One of them is fine....grows fast but stays where it is. The other one :mad::mad: is not pleasant....won't stay where it is...can't seem to kill it.....worse than ivy.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a lot of cars you don't need to. My current one does not need the engine on the power plug to work. I suspect this is a learnt moment.

To be fair, if that is killing your battery then it is on its last legs anyway.

Yes but if you don't do that it's asking for the battery to drain lol

Never use the sockets with engine off.. school boy error

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just after Xmas the Mrs got the reminder to tax her car.
She was having a hard time with her shoulder and fighting with a tax issue and put it to one side...and forgot about it!
Took her to work this morning and on the doorstep was a letter from DVLA reminding her that she hadn't taxed the car and really should as she could get done for it....
So it's now taxed.
Only been driving around in it for 3 1/2 weeks without tax.......:rolleyes:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Option 1. They leave it there to pick up when their walk is finished and they will then put it in a bin. Their circuit may not pass a bin and they don't want to carry it all the way around.

Option 2. They are morons.

Sadly, option 2 is the most likely. I have a dog and never do this. Even if you remember to pick it up on your way back it rubs everyone else up. Just take it with you.

I was walking part of the Cleveland Way a few years back. There was a guy walking his dog about 100 yards in front of us. It had a dump, he bagged it up, then put it under a bush. I pulled him up and said 'Oi, what the hell do you think you are doing?" He replied that he was going to get it on the way back and bin it. I don't know if he did or not, but I did feel a bit of an idiot for jumping to conclusions.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was walking part of the Cleveland Way a few years back. There was a guy walking his dog about 100 yards in front of us. It had a dump, he bagged it up, then put it under a bush. I pulled him up and said 'Oi, what the hell do you think you are doing?" He replied that he was going to get it on the way back and bin it. I don't know if he did or not, but I did feel a bit of an idiot for jumping to conclusions.
Sadly, the conclusion you jumped to is correct more often than not. If it was not the case then why are so many left? They should disappear shouldn't they?

I think it is lazy not to take it with you. Can anyone leaving it under a bush guarantee that they won't forget to pick it up on the way back? Keep jumping on people who do it (y)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly, the conclusion you jumped to is correct more often than not. If it was not the case then why are so many left? They should disappear shouldn't they?

I think it is lazy not to take it with you. Can anyone leaving it under a bush guarantee that they won't forget to pick it up on the way back? Keep jumping on people who do it (y)

Depending on our walk and location we will often leave it for collection on the way home. Tucked away and yes we have forgotten to collect it and yes have gone back out for it. Can't see the issue myself.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Depending on our walk and location we will often leave it for collection on the way home. Tucked away and yes we have forgotten to collect it and yes have gone back out for it. Can't see the issue myself.
I think it partly comes down to how it looks to others, they see litter on the walk and who likes that?, and partly for those who forget but are not as diligent as yourself and end up just leaving it there.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on what kind. We had 2 kinds right next to each other when we moved in almost 6 years ago. One of them is fine....grows fast but stays where it is. The other one :mad::mad: is not pleasant....won't stay where it is...can't seem to kill it.....worse than ivy.

Bamboo generally falls in to one of two types, running or clumping.
Clumping bamboo .......... good.
Running bamboo ............ bad.
Your best bet is to install a rhizome barrier, see below;

Rhizome barrier
A common way to control running bamboo is using rhizome barrier. This is a tough, flexible plastic that is installed in the ground, completely surrounding the bamboo. It comes in various thicknesses and widths, but at a minimum I would use 24" wide and perhaps 36" in sandy soil. The barrier must be installed with a couple inches above ground because the rhizomes can emerge from the ground and "jump" the barrier. You will need to inspect the barrier each year and cut any rhizomes that have crossed it.

There are many suppliers online with a search for "rhizome barrier". A large manufacturer with many distributors is DeepRoot. The success of the barrier control depends on installing correctly according to the manufacturer's directions. If you can slope the barrier outward (away from the bamboo) it will help guide the rhizomes upward where you can see them instead of downward where they may go under the barrier.

Good luck!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BBC News headline....."Social contact limits "over from 21st June"" with a picture of people sitting around a table underneath it. Then text which says that "rules will be eased in 4 stages, with changes led by data not dates".

And yet they've decided to go with a date in their headline.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
BBC News headline....."Social contact limits "over from 21st June"" with a picture of people sitting around a table underneath it. Then text which says that "rules will be eased in 4 stages, with changes led by data not dates".

And yet they've decided to go with a date in their headline.

And if the data changes, so will the dates

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Well, the Admiral has sorted himself out finally.
Interestingly they've re-instated the original policy due to it being their error, but have specifically mentioned that I wasn't insured for the short period between them canceling and reinstating, sneaky gits.
Thankfully not needed, but weaselish behaviour in my view.

Until you find you've gone through a camera in that period and are asked to produce your insurance...

If you can prove that you paid before the old one ran out I'd be all over them. Have they extended your policy period to match the new start date or have they stuck to the old end date, thus charging you the same price for less than a year's policy?

And according to the new adverts, it's herself. ;)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I phoned them a couple of days before renewal, agreed on the renewal price and gave them my credit card details. They have a recording of all that and they don't understand why it wasn't renewed.

However, they've only started the new policy from today, meaning a 48 hour gap, in the email they specify the renewal is subject to no incidents, including with the police, during the 48 hour gap.

So on one hand they've admitted they made a mistake and shouldn't have, unbeknown to me, stopped the policy, but on the other hand they are not taking responsibility for that period.

The policy runs until when it would have done if it was renewed properly, but is £2 cheaper.

Concerning, especially as our cars are on a multicar policy with a certain nautically themed insurer...

I might be inclined to make enquiries of the Ombudsman about their behaviour.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Actually, thinking about it, the lady who got the policy restarted said that they had done so based on their employee's computer notes on my renewal phone call, but they'd not yet had chance to listen back to the whole recording.

I'm guessing the missing 48 hours is their safeguard until they can listen and confirm the exact phone conversation.

Could you not request a transcript of the conversation given the importance of it ?