Random Irritations

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the core issue. The world runs on commerce and profit. The only way things will change is when the green alternative becomes cheaper - then the businessmen will flock to change over.

We need renewables to become cheaper than fossil fuels - we're getting there.
And we need other forms of packaging to become cheaper than plastic - I see little progress on this one. Plastigeddon might get us before climate change.
Yes I see little movement here, I just think it should be a case by this date you will use these materials and if you don’t you cannot sell or your fined. It is usually done like this in the auto industry so why not just transfer the brutality to the packaging industry

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I see little movement here, I just think it should be a case by this date you will use these materials and if you don’t you cannot sell or your fined. It is usually done like this in the auto industry so why not just transfer the brutality to the packaging industry
There simply are not alternatives right now. Plastics are simply so good that they are so intrinsic in so many things. The industry is trying to change and use alternatives but they will require massive compromises by customers, consumers, everyone. It's happening but I suspect people don't appreciate quite how important they are in so much of modern life

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There simply are not alternatives right now. Plastics are simply so good that they are so intrinsic in so many things. The industry is trying to change and use alternatives but they will require massive compromises by customers, consumers, everyone. It's happening but I suspect people don't appreciate quite how important they are in so much of modern life

Bamboo is a game changer .. amount of stuff you can do with it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bamboo is a game changer .. amount of stuff you can do with it
I hope so. I'm not defending the use of plastics but we use them at work in various guises and all efforts so far to replace them have failed. All suppliers know that penalties are coming and are desperately trialling alternatives but the success to date is limited.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Out in the car yesterday and a considerate white van man cut a corner forcing me in to the side, clipped my front splitter off a kerb, cracked it right on the corner. Thankfully no bumper damage that I can see.
Just called BM about a replacement... £840 :eek:

Cheers WVM very considerate that he failed to stop too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. The seats on the side of the Met Line trains are in 7s, so as we're leaving a gap between people, I always try and sit in the odd numbered ones, so you can fit 4 people there. Seems logical to me but the amount of people who get on and sit on the second seat in from the end boggles the mind.

2. I'm handing one of my projects over to the new person taking it over this week. Just found out they've not used our current system, don't even have an account, not had any training on it or anything. Handover should be fun then, she's not going to have a clue what I'm talking about.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just flattened my car battery after pumping up the tyres with one of those plug into car lighter pump things. I've now got to find someone who has some jump leads and a car.:rolleyes:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Okay might have been said but why on earth do dog walkers bag the turd up and then sling it on the floor or tie it to a tree???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Okay might have been said but why on earth do dog walkers bag the turd up and then sling it on the floor or tie it to a tree???
Option 1. They leave it there to pick up when their walk is finished and they will then put it in a bin. Their circuit may not pass a bin and they don't want to carry it all the way around.

Option 2. They are morons.

Sadly, option 2 is the most likely. I have a dog and never do this. Even if you remember to pick it up on your way back it rubs everyone else up. Just take it with you.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't tell if your being tongue in cheek here? But I'll go with no just incase

Bamboo is one of the fastest growing things on the planet, takes months to grow full where as trees takes 30 years
...but don't plant the bleedin' stuff in your garden - storing up real problems for the future if you do. If you want to have some in the garden use planters...