Random Irritations

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Having to pay someone just to put a new sidelight bulb ? in the car... Why is it made so difficult? ?

Serious answer; they are only concerned with how quick they can get the car down the line. Every second saved is more money. I had a 4WD Mondeo and the exhaust went up and over the rear axle. Exhaust goes; drop the axle to replace it. :eek:

That answer was courtesy of someone who worked at Aveley designing them.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
That's why I never put my lights on Auto. If I even fleetingly think "do I need lights" then the answer is always "yes"!

Don't like auto wipers either though! Don't think driverless cars are ever going to appeal. Control freak!
Why do modern cars have to do "helpful" things?
My latest one insists on turning on the air conditioning when you adjust the heater controls in various ways.
Or when you first start it up, it might decide to switch it on (but not always), even though it was previously off.
If I need the AC on, I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself.
Fortunately it doesn't have auto wipers.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I understand headlights in poor visibility, dark, fog, rain but in broad daylight....
If you cant see a car coming at you from 200yds away unless it's got its headlights on, you shouldn't be driving.
And as for the people who have their lights and sunglasses on.......make up your mind.

Don't buy a motorbike then; modern ones are always on dip unless you choose main beam. Deeply irritating.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do modern cars have to do "helpful" things?
My latest one insists on turning on the air conditioning when you adjust the heater controls in various ways.
Or when you first start it up, it might decide to switch it on (but not always), even though it was previously off.
If I need the AC on, I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself.
Fortunately it doesn't have auto wipers.

My AC is the same. Change the blower thingy from front screen to feet and AC comes on - grrrrrr!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have just bought a new landline phone, oldies still ring on that and the mobile signal in the house is bad. We have a choice of 5 ringtones, each stuck in the 1980's. Why can you pretty much take your pick on a mobile and yet be stuck with tinny horrors from the past on these still?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I hate most of the auto-features on my car, although I've got used to the lights. Hate the auto wipers and don't start me on the lane-detect stuff - I nearly had a heart attack the first time that kicked in and it took me ages to work out how to switch it off!

Also, I may be an old luddite but I am NEVER getting in a driverless car.

Well I'd never call you a luddite... ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have just bought a new landline phone, oldies still ring on that and the mobile signal in the house is bad. We have a choice of 5 ringtones, each stuck in the 1980's. Why can you pretty much take your pick on a mobile and yet be stuck with tinny horrors from the past on these still?
Surprised they even make landline phones still, I haven't had one in a decade. :LOL: I assume the ringtones are correct for the period in which they were popular.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Surprised they even make landline phones still, I haven't had one in a decade. :LOL: I assume the ringtones are correct for the period in which they were popular.
We had a 9 hour power cut last week, my mobile ran out of power. I was thinking I still have an old plug in phone in the garage, should I fetch it. But then remembered I haven't had an enabled landline for several years ?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

My son lives in an area of poor mobile phone reception, he'd be stuffed without a landline.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I couple of years back I worked on a project to replace 17,000 landlines across the BBC (primarily TV Centre and Broadcasting House sites) with Skype. Not that there were 17,000 employees but there were that number of landlines scattered all over the place and they cost a packet to maintain and run. But they kept a very small number of fixed landlines separate from the main telephony/internet access lines, as it is essential for the BBC to have resilient communications in the event of complete loss of internet access and/or mobile telephony as could happen if the Service providers and their networks were taken out. So landlines will have a place until 'mobile' telephony is a lot more resilient than it currently is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
washing machine broke down only a couple of years old Bosch, Warrenty only just ran out too. clothes stuck in it still full of water,
Ah, we've had that before, ours usually gets stuck because the filter is clogged. We had to somehow drag the machine out and drain it via the filter one baking tray full of water at a time. :LOL: